Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't find cold water shut off valve.

Options
  • 03-11-2005 2:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi, My cold tap started leaking in the kitchen, so I looked uder the sink to shut it off till I got a new washer but there wasn't any shut off valve, there were a blue and red thumb valves but they are for the washing machine, there was also an overflow valve, but the copper pipes that led to the taps are bare. I've searched the house, (I'm only here a year the house is 3) but the loft tank has only a red lever valve and there are 3 red twisting valves in the hotpress which I assume are for the rads. I'd appreciate any help,
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

It is possible the stopcock was covered when the kitchen was fitted or if an extension was built it may have been left in the original place, in some houses the stop cock is under the stairs.

Worst case there should be a mains valve just outside the front gate or door depending on where you live, a water key is available in most hardware shops and plumbing providers, probably under five euro.

The valve has a small cover and is set into the foot path, well worth checking and buying a water key now in case of emergency in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭irishshogun

Thanks Peter, I'll look for that mains valve and get the water key you suggested, unfortunately there isnt a stop cock under the stairs either. I dont think they covered over the stopcock in the kitchen as I can follow the pipe to the floor with my hand. I dunno, maybe builders cutting costs by not installing them on the pipes leading to the sinks I sopose, makes me angry when you are paying through the nose for a home that the bas**rds are such pennypinchers. Anyway thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭loz

Hi, My cold tap started leaking in the kitchen, so I looked uder the sink to shut it off till I got a new washer but there wasn't any shut off valve, there were a blue and red thumb valves but they are for the washing machine, there was also an overflow valve, but the copper pipes that led to the taps are bare. I've searched the house, (I'm only here a year the house is 3) but the loft tank has only a red lever valve and there are 3 red twisting valves in the hotpress which I assume are for the rads. I'd appreciate any help,
    Thanks.

Mine is very very low down under the sink - where the main pipe splits to upstairs and kitchen sink - so see mine i have to remove the ( terminology ) bit of wood under the press dorrs that touches the floor ? - the tap is almost touching the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭irishshogun

Thanks loZ, I tried that too, I can cut it off outside the house once I get my hands on one of those long T bar tools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭loz

Very wierd !

You'll probably find one of your neighbours has a water key. I needed one last summer when i drilled through my mains pipe from outside ( when running lecky cable for the pond doh )

• Advertisement
Advertisement