Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Service - Online tradesmen quotes

Options
  • 02-11-2005 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

<spam>

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Being a member of the guild of master craftsmen, is by no means a guarantee of exceptional quality or service, above any other tradesmen.

To become a corporate member, you only have to pay a membership fee, which gives you membership. I have worked for companies that were so called members of the guild, and they were far from master craftsmen.

The company I worked for was never vetted or visited for assessment by the guild, indeed it was just an umbrella of local companies for an advertising supplement in the local paper.

No doubt there are expert trades men in the guild, but membership does not mean they are all expert tradesmen.

kadman:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

As Kadman points out it is one of the easiest alledged trade associations to join, I was invited to join by a telephone call based on my one line ad (free listing) in the Golden Pages.

The Irish company now state they have no affiliation with the original UK Guild of Master Craftsmen, it may be true but the seperation was anounced after the Uk guild were discredited in one of those House of Horror programmes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ldet

Thanks for the heads up. I called the guild and asked them about this - they told me that all their tradesmen are reference checked and vetted continually.
    If I have a problem with one of their tradesmen, I can go back to them to arbitrate.

I suppose they are bound to say this and the guild may not be the perfect answer - but I managed to get a good tiling job done, didn't get ripped off, and didn't have to put up with the normal heartache of trying to find a tradesman in the first place. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Isn't it interesting to note that Ldet backwards reads as Ted L, and the registered owner of onlinetradesmen.com is one Ted Laverty, according to whois. Pure co-incidence, I'd imagine.

And that fact that this is a first time poster on boards who is so extremely enthusiastic about this service that all of his initial posts are solely dedicated to extolling the virtues of the new service is just another huge coincidence - right?

Or else this is just thinly veiled advertising spam and should be avoided like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

LOL! great detective work RainyDay. Have to say I thought there was something strange about this one when I read it yesterday and even thought of doing an owner lookup on the site name but then I was too busy to do it but am glad someone did.

So everyone can make up their own mind, and in mine this guy is the owner of that site and it should obviously be avoided due to these dishonest marketing techniques.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement