Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firewall problem?

Options
  • 01-11-2005 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks, just a bit of a problem I'm having with what appears to be my firewall.

Basically, I'm trying to get an online game of Football Manager going with some of the lads in the Football Management forum and they can all connect to the server but I can't. Apparently for the game you need to have ports 10093 and 10094 open, but I have no idea how to do this or check if this is already done.

I'm using Windows 2000, and I'm not sure if there is an inbuilt firewall or not, because I don't have one installed otherwise. I'm using Irish Broadband and am directly hooked up, no routers.

If you could just let me know how to check if those ports are open and/or how to open them if they are closed I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers,
    JoeSoap.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I had this same problem with IBB for some progs.

In the end I had to ring them and get them to sort it out. Unfortunately I never found out what was wrong. I would assume it's a port forwarding problem from their box (I can't remember what they call it). I know they can log in and play around with it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Gaz25

I don't think its your firewall and i wouldn't say your ISP are blocking ports, they generally dont that. I would say its the router your both using

Check out this website:

www.portforward.com to configure your settings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Thats what I mean, but it's not a router it's a black box that sits between your pc and the wireless antenna... they call it something else though as it's technically not a router + if your a home user don't have access to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Gaz25

Who is your ISP? If your with Irish Broadband then you will need to contact them.

Best of Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    ..using Irish Broadband and am directly hooked up, no routers.

... :rolleyes: @ gaz25

Suely, if IBB can access it for admin reasons remotely - there's a good chance it can admin'd locally.. try Net/Comms.
    Is this your PC - i.e. You're the only 1 admin'ing it - no firewall unless you put it there (IPSec)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Karoma wrote:
    ... :rolleyes: @ gaz25

Suely, if IBB can access it for admin reasons remotely - there's a good chance it can admin'd locally.. try Net/Comms.
    Is this your PC - i.e. You're the only 1 admin'ing it - no firewall unless you put it there (IPSec)?

Yeah, I went into Network settings and found a screen that allowed me to open all ports (see screenshot), which I did, yet the problem connecting with the game persists...

:confused:

(It is my PC by the way, only me using it)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Yeah, I went into Network settings and found a screen that allowed me to open all ports (see screenshot), which I did, yet the problem connecting with the game persists...

:confused:

(It is my PC by the way, only me using it)

I'm leaning towards an local IBB(i.e. The box) config issue:
    Try Net/Comms re: Configuring the IBB 'router'/box..

Cheers mate, I've posted there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭sector

windows 2000 has no built in firewall.

there is likley a firewall on your router, someone already suggested what you need to do is log into your router & forward the relevant ports.

good luck & if you are having no luck pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

The IBB THING is not, in fact, a router (at least the one I've come across wasn't). It is an ethernet bridge or similar abomination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Ring Ibb

They must be blocking the port.

Dec

Rang IBB and they said they don't block ports on their side, in fact when I opened the game he could see that my 10094 port was actually open. Must be some problem somewhere else, thanks for the help anyway lads. I'll get back to you if I fix the problem and let you know what the craic was.

Advertisement