Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[PR] Transport 21

Options
  • 01-11-2005 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.transport.ie/viewitem.asp?id=7048&lang=ENG&loc=1850
    Transport 21
    Break line image
    1 November 2005

€34.4bn 'TRANSPORT 21'

connecting communities, promoting prosperity

Government launches '21st century transport plan for 21st century Ireland'

An integrated transport system for Dublin, to include seven new Luas projects, two Metro lines, an underground station at St. Stephen's Green integrating all services and the Western Rail Corridor are among the investments outlined today in Transport 21, the Government's €34.4billion transport investment plan (full details attached).

Transport 21 also includes new commuter rail services for Cork City and Galway City, DART extensions in Dublin, and a new road route connecting Donegal, to Galway, Limerick, Cork and Waterford, known as the Atlantic Corridor.

An Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern TD launched Transport 21, a strategy which will see €9.4million invested every day for the next 10 years in Irish transport. The Taoiseach was joined by the Tánaiste, Mary Harney TD, the Minister for Transport, Martin Cullen TD and the Minister for Finance, Brian Cowen TD.

Minister Cullen outlined the details of Transport 21, nationally and in the Greater Dublin Area, saying Transport 21 had connecting communities and promoting prosperity at its core. Minister Cowen outlined the economic benefits of Transport 21 and detailed a series of value for money measures to ensure Transport 21 is delivered on time and on budget.

Speaking in Dublin Castle, the Taoiseach said Transport 21 signalled a new era for transport in Ireland. He said: "We need and deserve a first class transport system. We have all worked to generate the resources, now we must invest to continue to improve the lives of everybody. On transport, we have to move from far behind to the lead. Transport 21 is designed to achieve this objective and deliver benefits in every part of the country."

The Tánaiste, Mary Harney said: "This programme will not merely meet the transport needs of our citizens, but also underpin our competitiveness into the future. Ireland is no longer a low wage economy and we have no wish to return to being one. A comprehensive and efficient transport network is essential if we are to continue to improve our living standards while remaining competitive in the global market place."

Minister Cullen said: "Transport 21 will deliver a 21st century infrastructure for a 21st century Ireland. It has connecting communities and promoting prosperity at its core. It is visionary, detailed, integrated and deliverable. Transport 21 seizes the historic opportunity to complete the transformation of our country."

Minister Cowen said: "Transport 21 is a statement by Government that transport investment merits top priority.

"Quality, integrated transport is critical for competitiveness, return on investment and regional development. Sound economics has enabled us to prepare Transport 21, continued sound economics will sustain our stability and deliver Transport 21."

ENDS

Further info:

Department of Transport Press Office 01 6041090 / 91

Dan Pender 01 6041090 / 087 2313415

Veronica Scanlan 01 6041087 / 087 6430622

Additional Information
    1. Transport 21 Statistics
    2. Speech by the Tanaiste
    3. Speech by Minister Cowen
    4. Speech by Minister Cullen
    5. Transport 21 relevant dates

See separate email with the following maps
    6. Greater Dublin Area Rail map
    7. National roads map
    8. Western Rail Corridor - Galway - Cork rail map

http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/7048-0.pdf
    http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/7048-1.pdf
    http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/7048-2.pdf
    http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/7048-3.pdf
    http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/7048-4.pdf
    http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/7048-5.pdf (hidden link)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/index.asp?locID=200&docID=2265
    Speech by the Taoiseach, Mr. Bertie Ahern, T.D.,at the launch of TRANSPORT 21 in Dublin Castle, 1st November, 2005

Today, the Government is announcing the most significant transport investment programme in the history of this country – TRANSPORT 21.

The decisions we have taken will complete the transformation of Ireland’s road and public transport system for generations to come.

Our ambition and plan is clear and substantial – we will build a world-class transport system for the 21st century and we will do it on time and on budget.

Progress so far

The hard work of the Irish people has brought Ireland to a level of prosperity that only a generation ago seemed impossible to attain. And this Government's economic policies have provided the financial resources to do the work that must be done to realise our goal of building a world-class transport system.

Since 1997, we have been implementing a sustained programme to develop key elements of our transport system. We believe in a world-class road network and public transport systems.

Major progress has already been achieved:
    · We said we would dramatically reduce travel times between Dublin and our other main cities by planning and building a motorway network linking them. This far-sighted initiative is well on its way to realisation;
    · We transformed the planning and management of transport projects with multi-annual funding and a range of other reforms. We are now getting better projects, built faster, to a higher standard and, crucially, on time and on budget;
    · We saved the national rail network from a slow but terminal decline. Our investment programme has seen the renewal of over 400 miles of track, renewed rolling stock and, as a result, better quality and frequency of services;
    · We are the first administration to make a serious investment in urban public transport;
    · We have doubled the peak passenger capacity of the DART. We have built the first two phases of the LUAS, which will carry over 20 million passengers on its two lines this year;
    · We were the first Government to provide for Exchequer capital investment in buses;
    · We have also made a major commitment to regional and local transport. New low floor bus fleets have been introduced in the provincial cities and we have provided financial support for bus priority and park and ride schemes. We have also provided funding for additional commuter buses; and
    · We introduced the Rural Transport Initiative that has transformed the lives of many thousands of people in isolated rural areas.

From a standing start, we got up to speed fast and we have been delivering real progress. Now is the time to accelerate that progress by establishing a coherent framework for the next decade. Transport 21 is that framework.

Transport 21

Capital investment for the next 10 years under Transport 21 will be of the order of €34.4billion. €26.4 billion will come from the Exchequer, with the balance funded through Public Private Partnerships.

The proposals we are announcing today are real costed plans that will lead to real progress. Transport 21 has been fully evaluated and built into our long-term budgetary planning. It is not aspirations or political talk. This is the way Government works when it works for people.

It is a huge amount of money. But it is needed.

Minister Cullen will give you the details of Transport 21 in a few minutes, but I will give you a brief overview:

· We will complete the five major inter-urban motorways;
    · Dublin will get a genuinely integrated transport system;
    · The capital's roads will be upgraded;
    · Existing rail and bus services will be upgraded;
    · Luas will be extended and connected;
    · We will build a new Metro rail network;
    · There will be a huge improvement on intercity rail services;
    · We will invest in both the Atlantic Road Corridor and the Western Rail Corridor;
    · Together with the roads programme and strong regional airports, we will develop a more regionally balanced transport system, in line with our 20-year National Spatial Strategy; and
    · In all of this, we will insist on top class services and access for people with disabilities, the elderly and all other citizens on an equal basis.

We can do this because of the remarkable progress we have made as a country.

We are effectively at full employment, and forced emigration is a thing of the past. Indeed, our successful society is attracting more and more people to come and live, work and invest here. The public finances have never been sounder.

It is no wonder that, more and more, Irish people travelling abroad find themselves being asked about the Irish success story.

But when people come back home, they see that our physical infrastructure lags behind the pace of overall economic progress.

We are determined to change that.

We did not have the benefit of an inherent pool of wealth and resources to build our infrastructure like many of our European neighbours. And for decades, many Irish people emigrated in search of work. Indeed, many of them ended up building roads, bridges and railways, not in Ireland, but all around the globe.

We were always going to be playing infrastructure "catch-up" here.

The success of the last ten or fifteen years is welcome. But it has added to the pressures on our transport services. The labour force has doubled. The population projections are for five million inhabitants in fifteen years time. Dublin will continue to prosper and grow.

We need, and deserve, a first class transport system in this country. So we have to move from far behind into the lead. With Transport 21, we are now moving into the fast lane.

Delivery
    * We have designed the programme.
    * We have chosen the projects.
    * We will provide the resources.
    * The key challenge now is to deliver.
    * That is a challenge I am sure we can meet.
    * We have a sensibly programmed timetable, to ensure step-by-step delivery within the substantial resource allocation.
    * We have learned lessons from the past. The work already completed means that we have experience and expertise. We will add to that, where we think it is necessary. We will also bring in the legislative changes which are required.
    * We have already implemented a range of improvements to the planning and delivery of transport projects. These changes mean that huge projects are being delivered on time – often ahead of schedule – and on budget. We can see that in the roads programme.

Moreover, we must continue to maximise the integration of our investment strategies across the roads, public transport, ports and airports sectors.

On that front, the Government intends to arrange for the transfer of responsibility for our major national commercial ports from the Department of Communications, Marine and Natural Resources to the Department of Transport. My colleagues, Ministers Cullen and Dempsey will outline details of this shortly.

The Minister for Finance, Brian Cowen recently announced a range of further measures to ensure value for money in Government expenditure. The taxpayers are being asked to fund this investment. We will ensure that they get the services they deserve.

Since they are paying for it, they are also entitled to know what we are doing. I have asked my colleagues to ensure that all aspects of the programme are communicated fully to our citizens with clarity as to what is involved and regular, public progress reports.

Conclusion

Today we set forth a new vision - a new era for transport in Ireland. Transport 21 will transform our country. It will improve the lives of everybody who lives here, visits here and does business here.

A programme like this takes a lot of long, hard work to put together, involving people from many different organisations, at many different levels, ultimately reporting to the Cabinet Committee on Housing, Infrastructure and PPPs prior to formal Government decision.

It would be impossible to thank everyone individually. Suffice to say that I would like to express my appreciation to everyone involved for their tremendous effort. This includes my Ministerial colleagues, the many officials in the various Departments, agencies and organisations, and everyone who contributed, whether in a large or small way, to the development of Transport 21.

In conclusion, Ladies and Gentlemen, Ireland has come a long way over the last 20 years, sometimes against the odds. We have succeeded because of the hard work of the Irish people, and because in Government people worked hard together to plan and to deliver on complex policies and programmes.

Delivering Transport 21 will be a huge challenge for all involved. It may not always be easy. But I am confident that the people of this country, as on so many occasions in the past, will meet this challenge.

Together, we will build a better Ireland for this generation and for many generations to come. A better Ireland, where communities are united and prosperous, and where our quality of life improves in pace with our economic success. That is the Ireland we are building today and that is the Ireland we will leave to our children tomorrow.

Thank you.

ENDS

http://www.finance.gov.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=3580
    Address of Minister for Finance, Mr Brian Cowen, TD, at

Launch of Transport 21

Tuesday, 1st November 2005

Introduction
    In last years Budget speech, I said the Government was prepared to consider a 10 year infrastructure investment strategy to be prepared by the Minister for Transport. The launch of this ten year capital investment framework marks the outcome of this process. It represents a massive and necessary commitment of resources to a key area of the economy. The Framework involves investment of over €34 billion in current prices in the 10-year period 2006 to 2015. Of this, about €26 billion will be direct Exchequer funding and about €8 billion will be through Public Private Partnerships, of which €2 billion will be toll based road investment. At its peak, annual investment in transport under the framework will be over twice current levels.

The Minister for Transport and I have engaged extensively on the preparation of this landmark framework. From the outset both my Department and I acknowledged that investment in transport infrastructure was a priority. Indeed this priority is already evident in the accelerated level of provision we have made for this area of Government activity under the present National Development Plan.

Assumptions underlying Transport 21

From an economic and budgetary viewpoint, the Framework is predicated on the following key assumptions:

- The economy will grow over the medium term at close to its potential rate; this implies an average real growth rate of around 4 ½ %.
    - Maintenance of prudent management of the public finances fully compliant with the Stability and Growth Pact.
    - Overall capital investment at close to 5% of GNP each year but with the flexibility to increase investment above this level in particular years to accommodate the profile of the transport envelope.

More generally before I could agree a further major acceleration in transport investment I had to satisfy myself in regard to a number of factors.

· Firstly was it warranted and would the economic return justify it?
    · Secondly could the Framework be delivered whilst maintaining sound and sustainable public finances?
    · Thirdly were the costings as robust as they could be for a 10 year programme involving projects of the scale envisaged?
    · Finally could I have the necessary assurance that Value for Money would be achieved through the institution of best practice as regards project appraisal and management?

I am glad to say that after due scrutiny by reference to these issues I was able to agree the programme.

Necessity of Investment

In my view we simply must embark on this ambitious programme. Getting our goods to the market and making sure our citizens can get to work require an effective road and public transport system. Top class infrastructure is vital to Ireland’s future competitiveness; despite huge public investment in infrastructure in the last few years, Ireland’s remarkable economic growth is putting our infrastructure, especially our transport infrastructure, under strain. Unless we make further improvements, our competitiveness will be eroded. All demographic projections indicate major further population growth. We must plan now for a first class transport infrastructure that can service these levels of population.

I anticipate that there will be a strong economic return on the investment. In its Mid-Term Review of the NDP in 2003, the ESRI found that investment in roads and public transport delivers a significantly positive rate of economic return. The productive capacity of the economy will be enhanced into the long term as a result of this programme.

Better regional development is a major objective of Government policy.

If we are to spread growth more widely then we must invest to support the National Spatial Strategy and in particular in the transport links between the NSS Gateway Centres. Equally we must underpin the central role of the Greater Dublin Area. The unprecedented level of investment in public transport proposed for the GDA will enable it to further develop in a planned way that will improve the quality of life of its citizens.

Affordability

The investment has been planned on the basis that the economy will grow close to its potential over the medium term and that the successful, prudent management of the public finances will continue to generate the flows of revenue to sustain this and other public investment. I would stress that this is an imperative. The fiscal discipline this Government has followed has meant that the public finances are in a robust condition and we can embark on this investment with confidence. The 10 year investment framework will see the overall investment ceiling of 5% of GNP increase in some years of the Framework, but this will be manageable. Some significant projects will be done on a PPP basis which will involve the spending being spread over 20 or more years. The ability of the Government to fund the framework is the result of the good management of the public finances and of the economy in recent years. I would also stress that we will deliver this framework within a stable budgetary regime whilst ensuring necessary provision for other key areas such as Health and Education amongst others.

Robustness of Costings

I know that exhaustive work has been put into the costings by the appropriate agencies and I have received assurances from them via the Department of Transport as to their robustness. I also accept that in a programme covering 10 years it will be difficult to provide for all eventualities but there are project level contingencies in the costings. I expect all the Agencies to deliver the programme in full, on time and within the budget of €34.4 billion.

Value for Money
    In my recent speech on this issue I underlined the principle that every euro of taxpayers money must be expended in a Value for Money way. In a programme which costs in excess of €34 billion, this principle is paramount.

I note with approval that the recent record shows a number of transport projects coming in on time and on budget and by reference to the final contract price. All projects in the framework will be appraised and implemented in line with my Departments’ Capital Appraisal Guidelines and the additional Value for Money initiatives as set out in my recent speech. There will be intensive system of monitoring put in place and this will be an important factor in ensuring the achievement of value for money. In addition, certain major projects will be brought before Cabinet to get the specific approval of Government before they can proceed to the contract stage. This overall framework in tandem with the much enhanced project management skills in the agencies provide me with reassurance that Value for Money will be provided.

Summary

The 10 year investment framework we are unveiling to-day is a vote of confidence in Ireland’s future. It will be a key part of the foundation for long term prosperity for this and future generations. It will be delivered within a stable budget framework which will also allow for continued investment in other key areas such as Health and Education. We have provided the funding and it is now up to the implementing agencies to deliver. I am confident that they will do so and that by the end of the next decade our transport infrastructure will have been transformed.

Finally, the next National Development Plan will take on board this investment and that plan will set in more detail the investment programme across the whole of Government for the period 2007 - 2013.

Thank you

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/news.asp?action=view&news_id=172
    Iarnród Éireann warmly welcomes 10-year investment plan by Press Office
    1st November 2005

10-YEAR PLAN WILL GIVE COMMUTERS WORLD CLASS INTEGRATED RAIL SYSTEM

Interconnector: single most important project in the state to deliver public transport capacity.

Over 75 million extra journeys per annum forecast

Iarnród Éireann has warmly welcomed the Minister for Transport’s announcement of the 10-year National Infrastructure Investment Plan, and the inclusion of key rail projects which will deliver a world class integrated rail system to our customers.

Greater Dublin area – Interconnector: a critical piece of urban, regional and national infrastructure

The endorsement of the Dublin Integrated Rail Plan, including the Docklands to Heuston Interconnector, will transform the frequency and capacity of all rail lines leading into Dublin, quadrupling the number of passenger journeys on DART and Commuter lines from 25 million in 2004 to 100 million on completion of the Interconnector.

The Interconnector will be the single most important piece of infrastructure in the state in ensuring a modal shift from private to public transport, and in freeing future generations from the gridlock which cripples the Greater Dublin area today.

The Docklands to Heuston Interconnector delivers:
    - a second high capacity DART line through the heart of the city centre, a 5.2 kilometre underground line
    - dramatically increased frequency and capacity for services on the Northern, Commuter and Kildare lines – the three fastest growing population corridors in the country
    - a fully integrated rail network for the Greater Dublin area, linking all modes – DART, Commuter, Intercity, LUAS and Metro – and ensuring that suburb to suburb as well as suburb to city centre journeys can be made by a frequent, high capacity public transport network
    - DART services to and from Balbriggan, Maynooth and Hazelhatch, all of which lines will be electrified
    - a quadrupling of the number of passenger journeys by DART and Commuter rail annually – an extra 75 million journeys will be made by rail each year
    - a critical piece of urban, regional and national infrastructure

Dublin Integrated Rail Plan

The Interconnector will be the final phase of the Dublin Integrated Rail Plan, following completion of other projects confirmed today:
    - the Kildare Route project: four-tracking of the line between Cherry Orchard and Hazelhatch to provide two dedicated lines for increased commuter services for the growing population along the route
    - a Docklands station in the Spencer Dock area of Dublin, to provide increased frequency for the growing Maynooth line
    - Docklands Station will also provide the capacity to allow the Clonsilla to Dunboyne / Pace M3 Park ‘n’ Ride line to be constructed
    - resignalling of the city centre area from Connolly to Pearse to increase the number of trains which can operate through the heart of the network, primarily to benefit the growing Northern Commuter line
    - new stations to serve new and growing communities, including Adamstown, Kishogue, ParkWest, Fonthill Road, Grange Road, Pelletstown, Hansfield, Dunboyne, Pace M3 Park ‘n’ Ride and Phoenix Park

Cork commuter network – a model of urban and regional planning

Iarnród Éireann also welcomes confirmation that the Cork Commuter plan is to proceed, including:
    - the reopening of the Cork-Midleton line
    - the opening of new stations at Midleton, Carrigtwohill, Dunkettle, Blarney and Kilbarry, including major park and ride facilities

Iarnród Éireann plan to undertake the Railway Order process for the reopening of the Midleton line early in the New Year.

The Cork commuter plan is an integral part of the land use and planning policies adopted by local authorities in the Cork area, an approach which is a model of urban and regional planning.

Western Rail Corridor – a truly national network

We also look forward to developing the Ennis to Athenry to Claremorris sections of the Western Rail Corridor. By linking Limerick, Galway and Mayo on direct services, the Western Rail Corridor gives the country a truly national and inter-regional rail network, and will play a key role in the economic development of the West.

The first phase between Ennis and Athenry will give commuters a strong rail link between Limerick and Galway, the country’s third and fourth biggest cities, and a key corridor under the National Spatial Strategy.

Intercity – quality, comfort, frequency across the network – carriage investment will transform fleet from oldest in Europe to newest

Iarnród Éireann’s Intercity fleet will be transformed between now and 2008, with over 200 carriages currently on order, an investment of over €400 million.

All Intercity trains over 30 years old will be removed from the fleet, and modern trains will operate all Intercity services.

Already, 67 Intercity carriages have been ordered for the Cork/Dublin route from CAF if Spain. They will begin entering service early in the new year, and will ultimately deliver an hourly service each way on the route in late 2006.

Already, modern railcars are operating on the Rosslare/Dublin route, and later this year, Sligo/Dublin services will be increased in frequency and operated by modern trains.

An order for 120 Intercity railcars entering service in 2007 and 2008 will complete the transformation. The trains will operate on the Dublin-Westport/ Ballina; Dublin - Galway; Dublin - Limerick/ Ennis; Dublin-Sligo; Dublin/ Cork-Tralee and Dublin-Waterford routes.

They will enter service during 2007 and 2008, and when all in service, will allow Iarnród Éireann increase frequencies, quality and comfort across the network.

A spokesperson for Iarnród Éireann said of the rail elements of the ten-year plan “today’s announcement represents an enormous vote of confidence in rail to play the fullest role possible in the future economic development of our country. It will be particularly welcomed by our customers and by the communities we serve today, and the new communities which will be served by reopened lines.”

“We look forward to delivering these projects which will give Ireland a truly world class rail system. We will also bring the highest standards of project management to this task. Iarnród Éireann has an unmatched record amongst major recipients of capital investment funding in delivering major capital investment projects on time and on budget.”

“We welcome the adoption of long-term multi-annual planning for our transport systems by Government, an approach which ensures that we can plan effectively for the needs of commuters into the future.”

Some of the drawings have been pulled form the DoT webpage.

The railmap excluded the Ballina branch.

http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/7048-4.pdf has been withdrawn

http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/7048-5.pdf is still a hidden link, but now points to the road map.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I saw a Function sheet in work today for a Department of Transport PR Meeting Tomorrow (well, later today) Could it have anything to do with this? Theres reserved parking for a truck cab too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

I take it the Atlantic corridor is nothing more than adding up all the bypasses they made/are making in recent years. In other words, there is nothing major really involved.

Ideally they should try to organise a land swap for those in small/ghost villages along the route, by offering them substitute dwellings in the nearby towns where possible. then is should be comparatively easier to join the bypasses, without having to resort to green field sites.

N25 Waterford – bypass in construction/already being planned
    N25 Dungarvan – bypassed:D
    N25 Youghal – bypassed:D
    N25 Midleton – bypassed:D
    N25 Blarney – bypassed:D
    N20 Mallow – not yet bypassed
    N20 Charleville – not yet bypassed
    N18/20 Limerick – not yet bypassed
    N18 Ennis – bypass in construction
    N18 Gort – not yet bypassed
    N17 Claregalway – not yet bypassed
    N17 Tuam – bypass in construction/already being planned
    N17 Claremorris – bypassed:D
    N17 Charlestown – bypass in construction/already being planned
    N17 Knock – bypassed:D
    N17 Tobercurry – not yet bypassed
    N4 Collooney – not yet bypassed
    N4 Sligo – bypassed:D
    N15 Bundoran – bypass in construction
    N15 Ballyshannon – bypass in construction
    N15 Donegal – bypassed:D
    N15 Ballybofey – bypass in construction/already being planned
    N15 Lifford – bypassed:D
    N13/14 Letterk’ny – end of route

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I think it's more significant than that. I believe it's to be dual carriageway from Limerick to Tuam and 2+1 north of here. I reckon it'll be a pretty impressive road to be honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Is there a timetable for this atlantic road corridor? or is it just going to be the usual wait and see what happens thing

jank wrote:
    Is there a timetable for this atlantic road corridor? or is it just going to be the usual wait and see what happens thing
    No timetable yet!
    Remember in 2002 what Seamus Brennan said their emphasis was on, intercity routes.
    So I'd say what they will do is improve the N25(Cork-Waterford/Rosslare) first, they can easily justify this based on the traffic between the ports.
    then they will concentrate on the N20 Cork-Limerick road, again justify it on the basis of the traffic between two of the biggest cities.
    then I'm sure N18 Limerick-Galway, again some of our biggest cities.

Then at the end of the plan, say 2014, will come the N17 - N4 - N15 etc.
    I'd be shocked if they did it any other way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

There is a fair bit of the Galway-Limerick route done already or in construction, well ok its far from finished but its getting there. There is an awfull lot of traffic to Mallow aswell so id expect that part to be done quickly.

Id say the Galway to Cork part will be done before the Cork to Waterford part.

Any news on the North Link road and the N25 to Ringaskiddy?
    Plans are there but at the moment its all just plans.
    Any timetable up for it?

• Advertisement

jank wrote:
    Any news on the North Link road and the N25 to Ringaskiddy?
    N28.

I take it the Atlantic corridor is nothing more than adding up all the bypasses they made/are making in recent years. In other words, there is nothing major really involved.

Ideally they should try to organise a land swap for those in small/ghost villages along the route, by offering them substitute dwellings in the nearby towns where possible. then is should be comparatively easier to join the bypasses, without having to resort to green field sites.

N25 Waterford – bypass in construction
    N25 Dungarvan – bypassed:D
    N25 Youghal – bypassed:D
    N25 Midleton – bypassed:D
    N25 Blarney – bypassed:D
    N20 Mallow – Only being planned
    N20 Charleville – Only being planned
    N18/20 Limerick – bypass in construction
    N18 Ennis – bypassed:D
    N18 Gort – Only being planned
    N17 Claregalway – Only being planned
    N17 Tuam – Only being planned
    N17 Claremorris – bypassed:D
    N17 Charlestown – bypassed:D
    N17 Knock – bypassed:D
    N17 Tobercurry – Only being planned
    N4 Collooney – Only being planned
    N4 Sligo – bypassed:D
    N15 Bundoran – bypassed:D
    N15 Ballyshannon – bypassed:D
    N15 Donegal – bypassed:D
    N15 Ballybofey – Only being planned
    N15 Lifford – bypassed:D
    N13/14 Letterk’ny – end of route

Am I right in saying the following bypasses are ALSO still outstanding on the Atlantic Corridor
      Clarinbridge
      Kilcolgan
      Ardrahan
      Crusheen
      Patrickwell
      Croom
      Buttevant
      Pallas Green
      Carrick-on-Suir
      New Ross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Am I right in saying the following bypasses are ALSO still outstanding on the Atlantic Corridor
      Clarinbridge
    - will be part of N18 Oranmore - Gort scheme, goes to construction hopefully in 2008
      Kilcolgan
    - will be part of N18 Oranmore - Gort scheme, goes to construction hopefully in 2008
      Ardrahan
      Crusheen
    - will be part of N18 Crusheen - Gort scheme, goes to construction hopefully in 2008
      Patrickwell
    - bypassed
      Croom
    - bypassed by WS2. This route will be retrofitted to dual, post 2010.
      Buttevant
    - part of N20 Mallow - Croom scheme. Post 2010, but the NRA want to push it earlier, but arent having much luck.
      Pallas Green
    -
      Carrick-on-Suir
      New Ross
    - DC bypass in planning, post 2010 I think.

Clarinbridge - will be part of N18 Oranmore - Gort scheme, goes to construction hopefully in 2008
    Kilcolgan - will be part of N18 Oranmore - Gort scheme, goes to construction hopefully in 2008
    Ardrahan - will be part of N18 Oranmore - Gort scheme, goes to construction hopefully in 2008
    Crusheen - will be part of N18 Crusheen - Gort scheme, goes to construction hopefully in 2008
    Patrickwell - bypassed
    Croom - bypassed by WS2. This route will be retrofitted to dual, post 2010.
    Buttevant - part of N20 Mallow - Croom scheme. Post 2010, but the NRA want to push it earlier, but arent having much luck.
    Pallas Green -
    Carrick-on-Suir
    New Ross - DC bypass in planning, post 2010 I think.

:D

IMO the Atlantic Corridor is a farce as the N20 (Cork - Limerick) keeps getting put to the bottom of the barrel constantly. The N18 (Limerick - Galway) gets all the attention but yet parts of the N20 (especially around Buttevant) are a complete disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Any plans for Castlemartyr or Killeagh? on the N25

I see the NRA don't think the N20 is a major interurban route, sher it doesn't go to Dublin.

Midleton - Youghal (Dual Carriageway as far as I know) will be done post 2010 I think. Will bypass Castlemartyr and Killeagh, although I dont know given the wording whether they'll grade-separate the Midleton roundabout or leave it there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Midleton - Youghal (Dual Carriageway as far as I know) will be done post 2010 I think. Will bypass Castlemartyr and Killeagh, although I dont know given the wording whether they'll grade-separate the Midleton roundabout or leave it there.
    Isn't this roundabout being GS'd as part of this scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

hard to understand why (given all this effort east of Midleton) they are just installing traffic lights WEST of Midleton....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Bards

spacetweek wrote:
    Isn't this roundabout being GS'd as part of this scheme.
    Nope, that just goes from Carrigtwohill to the west of the Midleton bypass as far as I know. Could be wrong on that though :)

• Advertisement

corktina wrote:
    hard to understand why (given all this effort east of Midleton) they are just installing traffic lights WEST of Midleton....
    Those traffic lights (stupid and absolutely amazingly dangerous) are there to facilitate construction traffic as part of the Amgen project. They'll be torn up when the Carrigtwohill - Midleton section is re-worked.

Advertisement