Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Metro stop for DCU

Options
  • 01-11-2005 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

The new metro line from the city centre to Swords outlined in the government's Transport 21 plan is scheduled to have a stop in DCU. While this will (hopefully) be of no use to most of us, has anyone got any ideas where they might locate the station?

I'm guessing it won't actually be on DCU grounds itself, but maybe in Albert Park near the Ballymun road.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Perhaps when my kids/grandkids are old enough to attend university this will be of benefit to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

i'd say it would probably be down where the astro turf pitches are going... maybe somewhere near there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Amz wrote:
    Perhaps when my kids/grandkids are old enough to attend university this will be of benefit to them.
    I can see that as a reality im afraid... damn kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Polly19

Is the plan to put the metro track through DCU or outside of DCU like where the bus stop is?

If they put it through DCU I cant see how theyd do that without knocking down some buildings :S.How could they have the stop where the astro pitches are planned?Unless they make the track in a zig-zag line I dont think its possible

I say the stop owuld possible be in the middle of Ballmun road(they may make the road one lane on each side and place the track right down the center)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Polly19 wrote:
    Is the plan to put the metro track through DCU or outside of DCU like where the bus stop is?

If they put it through DCU I cant see how theyd do that without knocking down some buildings :S.How could they have the stop where the astro pitches are planned?Unless they make the track in a zig-zag line I dont think its possible

I say the stop owuld possible be in the middle of Ballmun road(they may make the road one lane on each side and place the track right down the center)
    The metro will be UNDERGROUND. So no zigzagging or road lane closures would be necessary. A metro station can be a relatively small building with most of it's structure underground/

• Advertisement

OFDM wrote:
    The metro will be UNDERGROUND. So no zigzagging or road lane closures would be necessary. A metro station can be a relatively small building with most of it's structure underground/

that's what i thought!

rugbug86 wrote:
    that's what i thought!
    You thought right!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I'm Spartacus!

No, I'm Spartacus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Zem

Hey if its underground, does anyone not think that the henry grattan building would be the perfect place for the terminal, come on the place with the metal chairs kinda looks like a terminal anyway.

• Advertisement

Zem wrote:
    Hey if its underground, does anyone not think that the henry grattan building would be the perfect place for the terminal, come on the place with the metal chairs kinda looks like a terminal anyway.

it certainly smells like a metro station...

Zem wrote:
    That's hilarious. Two things about the location of the DCU metro station are this:

Reason to have it on the edge of DCU grounds - argubly better access for the public and less "disruption" to the university.

Reason to have it placed centrally in DCU - very convenient access for students & visitors and would help improve the general atomosphere of the university.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭drunkenfool

where are the astro turf pitches going to be?

where are the astro turf pitches going to be?

methinks down behind the library

Let's have two stops....or what about three....it is a long walk to the library from the henry gratton building...
    Ah c'mon, let's be serous for a second, the Luas would obviously be the preferred options for this.

[align=right]:D [/align]

OFDM wrote:
    Ah c'mon, let's be serous for a second, the Luas would obviously be the preferred options for this.

[align=right]:D [/align]

yeah, cos it'd probably be steps up and down to the stations, DCU just wouldn't go with escalators. Which is WAAAAAAAAAY more effort that a couple (of hundred) steps!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Been ages since I've looked at infrastructure proposals for Dublin but they had planned a tram / luas line to Ballymun which was going to go down Collins avenue before turning onto Balymun rd - that would obviously incorporate a stop outside the college.

Anyone know if that plan is knocked on the head? It always confused me when they were rebuilding the roads in Balymun about 3 years ago and repaving etc. why they weren't incorporating the track then as they'd inevitably have to go along and rip the place up again later...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

They've been talking about a metro out towards DCU for years. I never heard the luas being mentioned. In theory the metro could quite easily be the luas, just underground. It would make a sorta sense too. (Look at the MUNI in San Francisco, that's basically the LUAS but usable and not crap. :) )

Advertisement