Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical Work

Options
  • 01-11-2005 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hi all, First time poster looking for some advice.

Currently getting a house built. Fixed price contractor. At the stage now where electrician is due to start first fix. I need extra electrical work done than was on the original (basic) specification such as, extra plugs, TV outlets, downlights, connections to outside for future requirement etc.

The contractor has told me that any extras will have to be agreed and negotiated directly with the electrician (subcontractor). Problem is, I don't know the sparkey and he may take advantage and charge whatever he wants for the few extras. I could get quotes for the extras from other sparkeys but I don't want two different guys wiring the same house for obvious reasons.

Any advice on how to deal with the subcontractor sparkey?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Best thing to do is draw up a VERY clear list of extras you want and mark it on the wall with chalk. Then ask him to price the extras. Post the price here and then get feed back.

Problem is that if he has the contract to do the standard stuff you really have to let him do the extras. Im sure he wouldnt be happy if another sparky arrived in and started to first fix extras and then feed them into his Main Board that he has to certify.

To your advanatage and his is the fact he will already be on-site and it wont be any great expense to do a few extra chases and run extra cable at that stage of construction.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

you wont be able to get another sparks in, you have a contract with the builder, and the sparks has a contract with the builder, you do not have a contract with the sparks, to avoid hastle the builder has asked you to deal directly with the sparks, the builder is due 19th added to the sparks cost so you may be getting a good deal, or the sparks is sorting the builder out as credits on his contract.
    this is more or less all above board.

As you have been advised you need to get a list of extra rates, a bill of quantities. An extra socket would cost from 50 to 80 euro etc, if you get the rates from hiim you can post them or mail them to me and I'll check them for you. I can get you similar rates from other guys to compare. I would not go down the road of trying to get someone else in, the existing sparks can block such a move and you could make the situation worse, if you go and ask him for a schedule of rates for extra tv points etc hopefully he'll assume you know what your on about and wont try to rip you off, I'll be able to tell you if your getting done anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Thanks lads, my main problem is I haven't a clue what a fair price would be. I'll be back to check when I get a firm price from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ldet

You may be interested in this site.

www.onlinetradesmen.com

I used it because it said it only used members of the National Guild, all of whom are accredited/vetted. It's free,I think they charge the tradesmen, and you even get a start date from each of the tradesmen that respond.
    You can compare the quotes that they come back with as well, so you
    won't get ripped off.

Worth looking at, it takes a bit of time to use but it saved me a rake of phone calls and I got a tiler who is doing my bathroom. Good luck.

Hi Stoner, Eventually got a quote from my Sparks.

Extra Light fittings €30 each
    Double Sockets €60 each
    Recessed Lights GU10 €35 each
    TV/Phone Points €50 each
    Wire for alarm 20 window opes, 1 PIR €280
    Extra SWA for external power and light connections 100M €200 total

These prices are all including VAT. They seem reasonable to me. Any comments?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

squire1 wrote:
    Hi Stoner, Eventually got a quote from my Sparks.

Extra Light fittings €30 each
    Double Sockets €60 each
    Recessed Lights GU10 €35 each
    TV/Phone Points €50 each
    Wire for alarm 20 window opes, 1 PIR €280
    Extra SWA for external power and light connections 100M €200 total

These prices are all including VAT. They seem reasonable to me. Any comments?

Thanks
    Wow, I had no idea how expensive it was to get that sorta stuff done.
    I cant comment on if thats a good price or not compared to others, but it would have me DIY-ing like a shot!

Depends on what value you put on your time Greebo but there is only so much one man can do. It's a matter of priorities really. I'd build the whole thing myself if I could but it would take me about six years.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I'm not hugely au fait with tradesmans rates, but if those prices are for time and materials it doesn't seem that bad to me, there's a fair bit of work there like

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I guess Im looking at it from the point of view of adding in 1 extra socket or light switch...
    Once you get over the initial pain of handing over the money, its always nice to arrive home someday and bang its all done.:)

Advertisement