Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryder Cup Team

Options
  • 01-11-2005 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

I know it's early to be talking about it but at the moment it stands at 5 Englishmen, 2 Spanish, 1 Scot, 1 Swede and 1 Irish.
    Garcia, Monty, Mcginley, Ollie, Stensen, Ferrie, Donald, Howell, Broadhurst and Dougherty.
    Out of these 10 who do you expect to be still there and who might come in? I really hope that seeing that it's on in Ireland that we get a good representation of Irish - presumably if circumstances allow then Harrington and Clarke will do enough but what about the others - McDowell, McGrane, Lawrie....do you think they have any chances? Are they good enough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

the chances are that Woosie will choose an Irish player as his wildcard; why?

The event is held in Ireland and you would assume that an Irish player has played the course more times than anyone else on the team. It would ensure the home team get the advantage

• Subscribers Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

swingking wrote:
    the chances are that Woosie will choose an Irish player as his wildcard; why?

The event is held in Ireland and you would assume that an Irish player has played the course more times than anyone else on the team. It would ensure the home team get the advantage

no way, he will pick whoever is on form. there is no way he will pick an irish wildcard unless it is someone just outside an automatic place or harrington/clarke/mcginley don't qualify.

have a look back at the previous picks, there is always at least one player who is an obvious pick - eg monty and one who is very close to the automatic places and is in form, this could be McDowell of course you never know.

besides plenty of the euro players will have played the course just as much if not more than any of the irish players...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

Harrington will be there hell or high water..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Darren Clarke is not irish........jsut to clear that one up. He considers himself a brit.

They need to pick people on form. Sergio,Ollie,Monty. I hate monty cause hes is a grumpy git met him before and he actually is a moonay rude swine off the course aswell. I dont thinl uke donald has been up to much but is a good player. Howell definatly good player. Casey.....dont nothing this year to catch the attention.

I think Westwood will get it. God player who plays well with segio. Jimenez should be in too since he is like super consistant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭celica140bhp

OK, so fair enough Clarke is actually from Northern Ireland........I was using the term "Irish" as being from the Island of Ireland. For the purpose of the event being held in Ireland the more "local" players the better.

McDowell is also from Northern Ireland but likewise I'll loosely refer to him as being "Irish"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

I'd like Casey as the wild card. Has'nt done anything spectacular but starting to build on his potential when he first came on the scene before the american comment thing. Looking forward to seeing Sergio in the Ryder Cup, he loves it, he is Mr Ryder Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

He considers himself a brit.

He didn't seem too bothered holding up the Tri-Colour with Hngton & McGnly after europew one the last time!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭Trampas

I dont thinl uke donald has been up to much but is a good player.

Donald not been up to much.

Must be doing something if he is world ranking of 13.

Highest British player and 2nd in europe behind sergio.

Cause he plays on the pga tour you mighten see much of him but he is usually up there. 3rd last week in volvo masters. Not to bad if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Donald is an excellent player and has plenty of experience playing against the yanks thanks to him a fair bit over there and college.

Would love to see Ollie hold his place. Great experience and is playing really well at the moment. A couple of good months next season should secure his place.

IMO the likes of Ferrie, Broadhurst and Dougherty dont have what it takes to win a Ryder Cup and tbh I doubt any of them will be in the places come next August. The team will be very similar to last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dagharr

team will be very similar to last year i'd say. Get ol McGinley to hole the winning putt on the last next year again would go down a treat. Had a good win at the weekend there. Hope he doesnt hit the self destruct button like he has before cause he should be on the team next year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Darren Clarke is not irish........jsut to clear that one up. He considers himself a brit.

They need to pick people on form. Sergio,Ollie,Monty. I hate monty cause hes is a grumpy git met him before and he actually is a moonay rude swine off the course aswell. I dont thinl uke donald has been up to much but is a good player. Howell definatly good player. Casey.....dont nothing this year to catch the attention.

I think Westwood will get it. God player who plays well with segio. Jimenez should be in too since he is like super consistant.

Oh really Darren Clarke considers himself a Brit. I don't want to go on an anti Brit tirade. However 1. I've heard himself so many times referring to himself as being Irish. 2. At every Ryder Cup he's appeared in, he's the only member of the team that never gets his national anthem to be played. My reading on that is if he could choose to have the British national anthem but because he considers himself to be Irish and the fact that playing the Irish anthem for a guy from Northern Ireland would be a bit politcally dangerous he gets no anthem. 3.Under the good Friday agreement any Nationalist/Catholic/IRA member or whatever up there can apply and are fully entitled to call themselves Irish citizens.

Now onto to the rudeness of Monty. I've met him twice once. The first time he was nt the most pleasent. The second time he was the nicest golfer you could ever meet. I'd describe him as the Victor Meldrew of the golf world and I love him for it. Watching Monty playing around live whether at the irish open or the european open is a must. It's always entertaining.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

3.Under the good Friday agreement any Nationalist/Catholic/IRA member or whatever up there can apply and are fully entitled to call themselves Irish citizens.

:confused:
    What are you talking about, anbody born in Ireland north or south has always been able to get an Irish passport, nothing to do with the good friday agreement or religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

erm...lets talk golf or there will be spankings:)

Now onto to the rudeness of Monty. I've met him twice once. The first time he was nt the most pleasent. The second time he was the nicest golfer you could ever meet. I'd describe him as the Victor Meldrew of the golf world and I love him for it. Watching Monty playing around live whether at the irish open or the european open is a must. It's always entertaining.

i watched him the year he annihilated druids glen.....must hav been 1996 or 1997/98....think he got 62 in the final round

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

daveym wrote:
    :confused:
    What are you talking about, anbody born in Ireland north or south has always been able to get an Irish passport, nothing to do with the good friday agreement or religion.

Grand and thats outlined in the agreement. Read it. My basic point which you may have missed was that I was/am 99% sure that Darren Clarke considers himself to be Irish. Thats it.
    Apologies if my knowlege on Irish citizenship is a little lack lustre.

Grand and thats outlined in the agreement. Read it. My basic point which you may have missed was that I was/am 99% sure that Darren Clarke considers himself to be Irish. Thats it.
    Apologies if my knowlege on Irish citizenship is a little lack lustre.

sorry vince....you've got yourself a weeks ban. I did warn above

Well not much change in the last month but Broadhurst is out and Casey is in - not too surprising I think....Casey is good enough to make the team. Jimeniz should get himself in there soon enough at the expense of maybe Dougherty or Ferrie.
    And then wait for the big guns to start firing - Clarke, Harrington, Westwood etc.

P.S. I think the 1 week ban of Vince was a bit harsh - he was only stating an opinion and his post was in answer to a previous post.

P.S. I think the 1 week ban of Vince was a bit harsh - he was only stating an opinion and his post was in answer to a previous post.

I have spoken to Vince and it's sorted.
    Read the Charter btw.
    No more off topicness in this thread please.

I agree wrt the big guns. But we ban only hope they do fire :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Id love to see the 3 Irish players in it, Harrington needs to make a charge now to catch up in the order of merit or ryder cup table. as for darren clarke being british, he represented Ireland in the world cup didnt he? maybe not, but anyway hope its a great tourney and looking forward to it :)

OK, it was bugging me so I looked it up and apparently Darren Clarke represented Ireland in the World Cup in 94,95,96. Don't know why he doesn't anymore but I guess that's for another thread/forum!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement