Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dry rot

Options
  • 31-10-2005 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hi, i've a bit of dry rot in the gaf.

how bad is this, and how do you get rid of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Dry rot is not a problem that can be answered without a proper survey, some small areas where the fungus has only started and not gotten a good hold can be treated with chemicals.

Other types of the fungus where it is located, (structural timbers) and how bad it is can mean removing the infected timber, tracing the fungus to the root and starting treatment from there.

So much depends on the type and how bad it has caught hold, one important thing is dry rot is a fungus and can actually be spread to other parts of the house if the spores are released during the work.

As to how bad it can be, well I wouldn't leave it one day longer than absolutely necessary to have it treated, if there is dry rot in the house you could end up with timber that is similiar to paper.

I have seen skirting boards that were nothing more than the strength and shape held by the paint, I have also seen it where it started as a small problem painted over that ended up needing a all timber including the roof replaced.

My advice is don't play games with it and don't delay, we are moving into weather where heating will be switched on and that can help the fungus grow and spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

thanks pete, i bought the gaf with a mate of mine about 6 months ago, we did get a survey done, and they said it wasn't too serious.

it's a patch in my room, but will probably get a pro to have a look at it.

Advertisement