Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audition - disturbing

Options
  • 31-10-2005 3:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭

Was watching Channel 4 tonight and was drawn in to this Japanese film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0235198/

About half an hour later i had to turn off because i was so revolted and nuaseated. Did anyone sit through the lot of this? If so, please state illness and/or the medication that you are currently taking that got you through that sick, disturbing feeling in your stomach. That girl is one sick bitch.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I've been waiting to see this film for a fair time now.

So, how far did you watch? What was the last thing you saw happen?

I thought it was interesting but actually kind bad. I mean, much of it doesn't make any sort of sense and you're just left thinking, "Uhhh,... I see.:confused:"
    Have to say I was disappointed with it, what with all the good word.

I did like the Hitchcock beginning though. Lovely lubbly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I like the way it lures you into a false sense of security by being pretty boring most of the time... and then it hits you all those wonderful scenes towards the end...

A great film... I went to see it at the IFC a few years back and many people walked out on it.

"Kiri kiri kiri kiri kiri kiri!"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

It's well made and interesting enough (strangely compelling in that almost typical Japanese way) - but the scenes at the end seemed to be a bit of a mish-mash of brutality. No real indication as to wheather things were happening or not.

"Uhhh,... I see. :confused:" was my reaction also. In fact, I have seen this film before a few years ago and watching it this time I was sure I must have missed the end of it.. turns out I didn't miss anything: it ended just as abruptly as my memory indicated.

(edit:: and sort of off topic, but I'm finding the film on afterwards slightly compelling also... I had always thought Dan Aykroyd to be somewhat above things like this)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

I've been waiting to see this film for a fair time now.

So, how far did you watch? What was the last thing you saw happen?

Just up to the part where she had
    pins in his eyes, she went to shackle his legs to cut them off, so i said **** that and turned it off.

I thought old boy and saw were hardcore, but god damn that sh!t was disturbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I don't remember anything gory in that movie apart from the bit at the end where she goes
    slicey, slicey
    . Perhaps I'm shutting it all out of my concious mind or perhaps I'm just one hard bastard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Never made it to the end....found it boring as ****. I got as far as them having sex for the first time when they went away on holidays and then i gave up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

See Ichi the Killer. Very very sick film

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0296042/

Was originally a Manga film I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

You know the good bits are coming when the presenter tells you it's very gorey when they're coming back from the last ad break.

I enjoyed the film. It was slow at the start, probably luring you into a false sense of security like monkeyfudge said, and I didn't find the ending particularly gorey, but I still found it enjoyable.

The only "WTF" aspects I had was trying to tell which flashbacks went where, and her motive for the torture.
    Did she attach the feet of the guy in the sack to the guy in the wheelchair? I dunno why I thought that...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Just up to the part where she had
    pins in his eyes, she went to shackle his legs to cut them off, so i said **** that and turned it off.
    That's about five minutes or so to the end.

Goodshape wrote:
    That's about five minutes or so to the end.

It couldn't have gotten worse after them pin things. Had to turn away as i was smokin a bit o' the owld wakky and i nearly took a whitey :eek:.

Ive wanted to see ichi the killer for a while, heard good things. If its sicker than this i think i'll pass.
    The part where he came out of the bag was just freaky. No feet and no tongue or fingers drinkin outta the dog bowl. Urghhhh! Theres no need fer all this sick madness, our friends to the East.

I found old boy entertaining where it was gorey. The story revolved around all that. This was just sick for the sake of being sick. Ooo look .... torture!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Audition is a masterpeice. I saw it right after I saw Ichi the Killer, and there really wasn't all this hype about it, so I knew practically nothing about it. I think it's reputation is it's own undoing. I posted this on the Horror board a while back, and it still rings true:
    Now I'm sure there's a load of us here who's seen the film Audition, and personally, I would consider it an absolute masterpeice. A lot of people however, would disagree with me on that point calling the film boring. What got me thinking about this is the thread about Dark Water, the subject of slow-burning horror films comes up, and of teenage girls who have no attention spans.

So, while I viewed Audition as an elegent, thoughtfull, intelligent, original, and intruiging thriller, that was parts drama, mystery, and horror, others seemed to shrug it off as boring. I think people really take the film up wrong, and it's seemingly a victim of its own hype in that sense, people seem to expect a 2-hour Gorefest, not a well acted, deliberatly paced, almost Hitchcock-esque dramatic chiller of an art-house film.

Would anyone else concur? I find it extremely sad that the film seems to be judged majorly on, and become hyped up for a single scene. I think it's a film that is so much more than just the mindless gore it seems to be pegged as, and it deserves a more open-minded viewing.

And speaking of Oldboy, another masterpeice right there. Chan-Wook Park is a magnificent director, so you should also see Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance and Joint Security Area. I'm really looking forward to his new film, Sympathy For Lady Vengeance, which is the third part of his Revenge trilogy, following Mr. Vengeance and Oldboy, and quite simply those two films are so remarkably different in tone and theme, despite both being 'Revenge' films, it's just remarkable how he can get so much originality from such a contrived subject matter, so I'm just really excited to see if he pulls it off again with Lady Vengeance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Well I didn't think Audition was boring. Slow? Yes. But as Bill Baily explained beforehand Miikei wanted it that way. I still didn't think it was very good. It felt like a mishmash that wasn't completely successful as any type of film, horror included. It tried too hard to be slow and methodical that in the end it just feels awkward and unfinished.

following Mr. Vengeance and Oldboy, and quite simply those two films are so remarkably different in tone and theme

Mr Vengeance any good? I really loved old boy.

Mr Vengeance any good? I really loved old boy.

Absolutely, but a very different film altogether, it's more of a Drama really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

Sympathy for Mr. Vengence is a fantastic movie, nothing like oldboy but a really fascinating piece. I love the lead actor in that movie, he seems to be in alot of great movies (jsa, memories of murder).

elvis2002 wrote:
    Sympathy for Mr. Vengence is a fantastic movie, nothing like oldboy but a really fascinating piece. I love the lead actor in that movie, he seems to be in alot of great movies (jsa, memories of murder).

Yeah, Kang-Ho Song is his name. He's brilliant, easily one of my favourite Korean actors, he's also been in The Quiet Family and Shiri, both of which also star Min-Sik Choi.

See Ichi the Killer. Very very sick film

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0296042/

Was originally a Manga film I think.
    Well it was a manga first.. which is a comic book. Then there was the film.. and then they made an anime prequel to the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Rcuomo

i havent seen audition so i cant really comment on it, but i saw one of the director miike's other films, mentioned above, ichi the killer, and i have to say it was an awful, pointless, ultra-violent piece of steaming poo...
    i mean, what was the point? and whats the deal with the guy getting an erection after killing? i'd like to know the reasons for anyone liking this...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Rcuomo wrote:
    i havent seen audition so i cant really comment on it, but i saw one of the director miike's other films, mentioned above, ichi the killer, and i have to say it was an awful, pointless, ultra-violent piece of steaming poo...
    i mean, what was the point? and whats the deal with the guy getting an erection after killing? i'd like to know the reasons for anyone liking this...

with such films you have to detach yourself from reality. they're not factual-based films (i hope not anyway).

they tend to suck me in and keep me gripped from beginning to end. especially audition which sets me into a lulled trance watching it (i.e. half asleep) and then - well, i'm woken up fairly sharpish ;)

Rcuomo wrote:

Ahhh, i havent seen it, you ruined the best part for me. :D Erections... yeahie!
    If it was originally a Manga i wouldnt tend to take it so seriously. Im going to watch the Manga first and then the Film so i dont get easily "bothered". I heard on Imdb that there is a torture scene in Ichi. I tend to freak out with torture. Better not be extended like the end of Audition.

• Advertisement

Ahhh, i havent seen it, you ruined the best part for me. :D Erections... yeahie!
    If it was originally a Manga i wouldnt tend to take it so seriously. Im going to watch the Manga first and then the Film so i dont get easily "bothered". I heard on Imdb that there is a torture scene in Ichi. I tend to freak out with torture. Better not be extended like the end of Audition.
    'Read' the manga.. you read a manga not watch it.

The idea of the story is that it is a battle between a super-sadist and a super-masochist.

Needless to say there are several torture scenes, one particularly bad one is a self inflicted one.

I would have considered Akira, Vampire Hunter D. and Ghost in the Shell to be Mangas. Now i realize that Manga is just a company and they are just called Anime. Thanks for clearing that up.

Doesnt look like i'll be watching Ichii then. Im sure its a good film i just cant really handle all that torture sh!t. I'll give that other Chan-Wook a go though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Thought Audition was boring, morbid and dull. Waiting over an hour for that scene was'nt too bad if what came before it was good. Prefered Dark Water to Audition. At least something happened throughout that and it had a dark mood which Audition tried but it turned out to be boredom. Now some of you might say they were developing the characters, story, etc but pleeeassse. What a crap film.

Takashi Miike's films can often be fairly dense on the subtext, and the plot isn't always as clear as more mainstream films. You can definetly see how he's influenced by David Lynch, as taking the ending of Ichi The Killer for example, many people just went what the hell happened? I won't say I got the film instantly, because it took me a second viewing to really get what going on, I actually didn't like the film at all on first viewing. At this stage, I've seen it many times, and I'd count it as one of my favourite films, it really has a remarkably intricate plot, so much so that I find it amazing that Miike managed to get all of it in there.

Gozu is another film of his that's definetly very David Lynch, and while quite a few people hated it, I absolutely loved it, the whole plot made perfect sense to me. Now with that said, I don't want to get high and mighty or insinuate I'm more intelligent because I "Get" these films, because I know that there are perfectly clever people out there who just aren't into the whole abstract film style. That said though, if you think Audition is boring, more than like youwent into the experience with the completely wrong idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

I hated Audition. Not because it was slow. Slow I can handle. I just didn't dig the idea behind the film.

Ichi the Killer was a nice adaption of the source, and was entertaining enough. I enjoyed the cheap but effective effects and the gore was enjoyable(I don't like CG gore as a rule though...). I found it average but good fun. My favourite Miike film.

Gozu was utter ****. I understand every last frame of it. It was pure ****. I don't even think it deserves more of a description than that. ****.

That said, I think he has a really great film inside him. He's a talent who is constantly getting lost inside his own arse.

I've just noticed on imdb that he's attached to a new Halloween film... That could be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Juggalo

I thought audition was a piece of crap. I heard so much good stuff about it and it turned out to be boring. I've seen much more disturbing visuals and am pretty much de-sensitised(sp?) to violence.

Ichi the killer isn't too bad, I have the complete uncut region 1 version 124min in length, and I have to say. Ichi is a wimp and a p!ss poor character, the only reason I watched it was for Kakihara.

I enjoyed Gozu for some strange reason. Can't really place my finger on it.

And David Lynch, I just pure hate the guy, most of his movies are head f*ckery for head f*ckery's sake.

Advertisement