Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exterior Plaster Finishes

Options
  • 30-10-2005 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Hi All especially those doing new builds a the mo! We are getting to stage of having to decide on exterior plaster finishes. The council have restricted us to a nap finish. We were thinking of doing a permanent paint/render but don't know much about it. We would not be going a drastic colour - we want white - but as maintenance free as is possible. Any suggestions or experience please? Any plasters out there (you are a rare breed I understand..difficult to find these days!) that can offer professional advice please? Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

Hi Builderwoman,

you could try these below
    k-rend/ based in Northern Ireland but l believe their products are available throughout Ireland.

Qmax finishes from Rathcoole are agents for the Parex range of renders. parex.com

Greenspan from Limerick are agents for the Dryvit range of renders. dryvit.com

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Hi Foamcutter,

Thanks so much for posting those links. Really appreciate them. Will now go and do some more research.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Builderwoman,

You may not be familiar with the original "Sandtex" exterior paint, a good product but with a gritty finish, similar (almost) to nap finish.

The problem not covered by guarantee was the airbourne dirt gathered in the grit and the white did not look very nice in a about two years, I think that is why they brought out "Sandtex Smooth".

The coloured renders look as good as the plasterers skills, you don't want joints on large areas like gables because they tend to stand out, it may not be the fault of the material or tradesman, unexpected rain can stop work at a critical stage or worse cause the render to run.

Just to balance the very often all positive literature the suppliers send out.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Hi there again,

Thanks too to Roofer Pete, as always, for great advice. Regarding renders they all say they are maintenance free..... this I would assume will mean it will last for a certain number of years but in the future when the render becomes dirty....the 10 million dollar question that nobody so far can answer is...can it be painted over?? Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If it is Sto brand render then the answer is yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

CJhaughey is correct and as far as I know the same goes for the majority of renders, the colour is similar to the dye put into concrete to colour it although I expect there is a lot more to the technology than sprinkling some colour into the mix.

I have seen the Qmax product demonstrated and it does look very well, also they have a very good range of products not all covered in their web site.

Advertisement