Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Hooked Up Online

Options
  • 30-10-2005 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

Ok so ive got broadband at home and wanna give this online lark a lash.
    Can anyone put into plain english what exacatly i need to do so and where i can get what i need??

Ive tried readin up in the back of the manual but they just assume we're all computer wiz's,might be handy if they could use plain laymans english ya know!?!?

Oh yeah its for a ps2. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

i dont have the PS2 version myself, so cant help ya there.
    However, go to www.pesfan.com - great Pro Evo site there.
    It's free to register and they'll have lots of info for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭iloveireland

ye some ps2 online help would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Ok I'll give a walk through as best I can, but its been a couple of weeks since I set it up myself. :)

Well first off all, you hook up all the cables etc... This is the easy step. Do you even need info on that? (if yes then just let me know and I'll add it in)

Go to Network Mode and agree to the DNAS prompt, it should then check your dnas and proceed to "testing network environment". If all is good the registration process for PES5 will begin and you'll just need to choose a username and password, then login and you're good to go. If Not...

This is the main stage that people fail at, and it can be for a couple of reasons. It's usually your router thats acting up though, so its easily enough fixed.
    What you may need to do (and what I had to do) was setup up a pinhole on my router to allow PES5 traffic through. I'm with Eircom so I have their Netopia Cayman 3347W router/gateway, if you're with another provider or have different hardware then my directions may not be of much help but check out www.portforward.com for most makes and models, and even how to's.

Firstly in the PS2 Network Menu, press Circle (I think thats Port settings) and choose Manual rather than Auto. Change the UDP Port setting to 5730.
    Next you need to go back to the PES5 network main menu and press Square. This is where you'll need to set up the PS2 manually to retrieve settings from the router.
    You can use your PC to get all the relevant settings you need, just go to Start -> Run... -> and type "cmd". Now type ipconfig /all , this will show you all the information you need. (subnet mask, Default Gateway, DNS server)
    Take a note of these values as you'll be using them to manually setup your PS2's connection to the router.

1. If you use the Eircom router, then you wont need to set up any PPoE settings or anything, just skip that part (I think its first).
    2. Manually select an IP address that the PS2 will always use once you switch it on (I used 192.168.1.4, ideally it should be higher though, one that you know your PS2 can always claim).
    3. Now enter in the DNS server, Default Gateway and Subnet Mask info that you got earlier from your PC. (for the Netopia it should be Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254, the DNS servers will be the same. The Subnet Mask should be 255.255.255.0)
    4.Once this information is entered a couple more screens pop up, but I dont think you need to change anything on them, I'll check in a while and change this if you do.
    5. You should get a summary screen on your PS2 telling you of the settings, at this point just accept and save, that should be the PS2 setup done. On to the router settings....

For the Router do the following:

1. Go to the setup/Administration page (192.168.1.254)
    2. Click on Expert Mode, and then ok.
    3. Click on configure
    4. Click on Advanced
    5. Click on "Pinholes".
    6. Click on "Add".
    7. Now create a name for the Pinhole (I chose PES5_PS2).
    8. Protocol type: UDP
    9. External Port Start: 5730
    10. External Port End: 5730
    11. Internal IP Address: whatever IP you assigned to your PS2. (I chose 192.168.1.4)
    12. Internal Port: 5730
    13. Click submit.
    14. Then click the little yellow sign up in the top right and restart your gateway, you should now be good to go. :cool:

This post a big mess I think, I'm just winging it from memory so sorry if some stps are a bit off, I'll check the settings again myself when I have time, or if you have questions before that then just post them here, hope it helps. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭MRPRO03

How much do eircom charge then ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

dar83 wrote:
    Ok I'll give a walk through as best I can, but its been a couple of weeks since I set it up myself. :)

Well first off all, you hook up all the cables etc... This is the easy step. Do you even need info on that? (if yes then just let me know and I'll add it in)

Go to Network Mode and agree to the DNAS prompt, it should then check your dnas and proceed to "testing network environment". If all is good the registration process for PES5 will begin and you'll just need to choose a username and password, then login and you're good to go. If Not...

This is the main stage that people fail at, and it can be for a couple of reasons. It's usually your router thats acting up though, so its easily enough fixed.
    What you may need to do (and what I had to do) was setup up a pinhole on my router to allow PES5 traffic through. I'm with Eircom so I have their Netopia Cayman 3347W router/gateway, if you're with another provider or have different hardware then my directions may not be of much help but check out www.portforward.com for most makes and models, and even how to's.

Firstly in the PS2 Network Menu, press Circle (I think thats Port settings) and choose Manual rather than Auto. Change the UDP Port setting to 5730.
    Next you need to go back to the PES5 network main menu and press Square. This is where you'll need to set up the PS2 manually to retrieve settings from the router.
    You can use your PC to get all the relevant settings you need, just go to Start -> Run... -> and type "cmd". Now type ipconfig /all , this will show you all the information you need. (subnet mask, Default Gateway, DNS server)
    Take a note of these values as you'll be using them to manually setup your PS2's connection to the router.

1. If you use the Eircom router, then you wont need to set up any PPoE settings or anything, just skip that part (I think its first).
    2. Manually select an IP address that the PS2 will always use once you switch it on (I used 192.168.1.4, ideally it should be higher though, one that you know your PS2 can always claim).
    3. Now enter in the DNS server, Default Gateway and Subnet Mask info that you got earlier from your PC. (for the Netopia it should be Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254, the DNS servers will be the same. The Subnet Mask should be 255.255.255.0)
    4.Once this information is entered a couple more screens pop up, but I dont think you need to change anything on them, I'll check in a while and change this if you do.
    5. You should get a summary screen on your PS2 telling you of the settings, at this point just accept and save, that should be the PS2 setup done. On to the router settings....

3. Click on configure
    4. Click on Advanced
    5. Click on "Pinholes".
    6. Click on "Add".
    11. Internal IP Address: whatever IP you assigned to your PS2. (I chose 192.168.1.4)
    13. Click submit.
    14. Then click the little yellow sign up in the top right and restart your gateway, you should now be good to go. :cool:

This post a big mess I think, I'm just winging it from memory so sorry if some stps are a bit off, I'll check the settings again myself when I have time, or if you have questions before that then just post them here, hope it helps. :)

I did the PS2 bit but I don't get the "Administration page" thing, where? On the PC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Yes on the PC, thats where you need to access your router.

MRPRO03 wrote:
    How much do eircom charge then ?

Did anyone see this, is there any extra charge for playing PES5 from the PS2 on the broadband.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

MRPRO03 wrote:
    Did anyone see this, is there any extra charge for playing PES5 from the PS2 on the broadband.

Thanks

No extra charge unless you
    1 Go over your cap (noone has been charged yet afaik)
    2 If you on one of those 10 hour a month DSL offers and you go over.

There is no charge for playing games online unless its with the software makers.

kdjac

Thank You, I just checked and it is 20 hours a day is the limit, Is that correct ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

Thank you all! I logged on! Lost 2 matches but won one with Spurs (who I didn't mean to pick!):v:

• Advertisement

MRPRO03 wrote:
    Thank You, I just checked and it is 20 hours a day is the limit, Is that correct ?

Its 20 hours a month not a day.
    NEW eircom broadband time promotion - just €19.99 per month!
    If you are an internet user and currently use dial-up for a few hours a week and wish to experience Broadband, eircom has the product for you.

eircom broadband time gives you broadband speeds that will transform your time online for just €19.99 a month.

- FREE Connection
    - 20 hours or broadband access per month
    - Modem can be purchased for €49.99 or rented for €1.99 per month
    - 2 months FREE Broadband Guardian then, €2.99 per month

On that package other than that type oif **** online gaming is free again unless its Live or MMMrpg.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

Can I use the same Modem as I use for My Broadband from Eircom?

Sajan wrote:
    Can I use the same Modem as I use for My Broadband from Eircom?

Yes use the ethernet connection and refer to the manual to set it up, you will need your PC open the port needed.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭iloveireland

dar83 wrote:

3. Click on configure
    4. Click on Advanced
    5. Click on "Pinholes".
    6. Click on "Add".
    13. Click submit.

do you have to be on the pc when you are playing on the playstation.

Advertisement