Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rant Alert Fireworks!!!

Options
  • 28-10-2005 8:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

This morning I am very very p!ssed off person, I wish they bleeding banned fireworks. This morning around 3:05am 3 large firework explosions went off in my area, which in turn drove the dogs frickin bananas, fireworks continued to go off until around 3:45am. As result I have had very little sleep and I am very very angry. Fireworks are bloody pain in the arse. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Fireworks are banned. But they are legal in the north, as well as that they are being smuggled in from god knows where else in the world.

My sister received her first ever guide dog this june, this will be her first halloween with the dog. what she plans to do, and this might work for other dogs and cats on halloween night, is to keep them in the busiest room in the house, where the kids and the TV set are, Keep the windows and all the doors closed and hopefully drown out the banging of these things Other than that, pray to god it pisses with rain so the scumbags don't come out to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,199 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Keep the windows and all the doors closed and hopefully drown out the banging of these things Other than that, pray to god it pisses with rain so the scumbags don't come out to play.

Unfortunately the scum bags don't mind the rain too much (must be wash day to them I guess), sneaking around in the dark in little gangs with hoodies on so nobody can see their faces.

These muppets have nothing better to do. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Ha come on sorry for all the problems ye have but not everyone that
    has fireworks are scumbags and muppets! what is wrong with ye at all?
    chill out its only once a year, for one i have a load and aint a scumbag
    and trust me im not a muppet!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I wonder if making them legal would actually improve things. This is my first Halloween/Guy Fawkes in London and I was expecting things to be much worse than they are.

They sell them everywhere here, last Thursday Lidl was selling them incredibly cheaply and I was expecting them to be non-stop as they usually are at home. They do go off occasionally, but there are very few of the really loud bangers.

Perhaps as they are legal people buying them choose the quieter ones, but when they are smuggled over the border there is very little choice and all the really loud ones end up in Ireland? I've lived in the "better" parts of Limerick and Dublin, and I now live in an area of London that doesn't have the greatest reputation, yet the fireworks were much worse in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

ricey wrote:
    Ha come on sorry for all the problems ye have but not everyone that
    has fireworks are scumbags and muppets! what is wrong with ye at all?
    chill out its only once a year, for one i have a load and aint a scumbag
    and trust me im not a muppet!!

it takes two years and costs over €30,000 to train and look after a guide dog.

On how they are treated in the UK

You might be right iguana, the fact that they are legal probably makes the thrill of doing something "bold" redundant. plus because they are being bought from respected outlets, if something goes wrong there is the thread of legal action against that outlet. so they are more likely to make sure that they are sold responsibly rather than to any five year old that walks in the door.

• Advertisement

it takes two years and costs over €30,000 to train and look after a guide dog.

Ya in that case i have to agree, but something has to give
    legalise the things and control them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

If they were legalised I dont think there would be half as many problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

ricey wrote:
    chill out its only once a year,
    Fine if it was only once a year (as in one day) but these things are going off for weeks either side of Halloween.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

WDK wrote:
    If they were legalised I dont think there would be half as many problems.

i'd think there would be more problems.. more of the feckers could get their hands on them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

but it wouldnt be as much as a "bad" thing to do. Guards wouldnt be searching them for looking suspicious etc. so they might move onto buying something else that is illegal that doesnt cause as much noise etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

yeah there are alot of jerks going around on halloween. my mum was talking to her friend that works in centra on the ennis road today and she said that last night a gang of about 30 scuts came in looking to buy eggs and stuff and she said no way, there's too many of ye, get out of the shop and come in 6/7 at a time but they said no and then just started thrashing the place, kicking stock off shelves and generally acting the thug. is it true that buses don't run at nighttime on halloween? a friend of mine's housemate works in the parkway and was waiting for a bus home by homebase but none came and eventually she did get egged by a drive by egger and had to get a taxi home cos it looked like no bus was gonna turn up. and also a car was burnt out on o'callaghan strand by the recycling bins - does anyone know was it a stolen car or was it some sort of prank with a banger?

is there any hope of halloween night ever resembling something that doesn't remind us of beiruit or fallujah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The fireworks are extremely irritating in urban areas. I've been out on halloween night in recent years and have had fireworks deliberately fired in my direction as I walked. As mentioned above they can do a lot of psychological damage to cats and dogs and this is especially bad for people with guide dogs. I'm in Galway and this year it was a bit better than usual, mainly because it's been bucketing down for the last month here.

Theres very little chance of stopping people from getting them. I recently passed through a section of the border with the North where there was an old shipping container with a sign ' fireworks for sale' in the middle of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I have to say today in my area last night there were fireworks a plenty but didnt drive me over the edge. Also we had only one Trick or Treater and that was a kid from next door which was so weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

iguana wrote:
    I wonder if making them legal would actually improve things. This is my first Halloween/Guy Fawkes in London and I was expecting things to be much worse than they are.
    I suppose the way they'd think about it would be "why bother trying to risk getting caught with "quite" fireworks, which may not even get sold, when you know will sell the loud ones?".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Fireworks need to be legalized full stop, for reasons other than the 'thrill will wear off if its not considered bold' argument. With this there will be some degree of control in distribution and quality standards.

Ha i dont care i had some crack of em monday night, what can i say i must
    be a thug!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lynx500

Once a year you got it easy :D I have a load as well if the legalised them they wouldnt be as bad, And they would be safer, and the gaurds would be off my back aswell

Advertisement