Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth getting 2??

Options
  • 27-10-2005 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm sure this has been asked a million times but i did check the 2 pages of previous posts and didn't find anything.

Heres the prob. I going to be building a comp soon. My questions is about the value of getting two Nvidia 6800gt's to use on an SLI motherboard.

Its not that i care about getting the best frame rates possible with current games. What I want get as much value out of the cards as possible
    (e.g. being able to play games, current and future, decently for a couple years).

So what I'm asking is how much benefit do I get from having 2 6800gt's instead of 1. And does having a 2nd card further future-proof it at all? Or is a 2nd card only good for maximum performance with current technology.

At first I was sure it would be worth getting 2 cards but now im beginning to question that. I've ruled out getting 6600's and so 6800gt's seem the best value. So is getting a 2nd card a waste of money for me?
    I need help from the experts!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭poggy

get one 7800 around thesame price. or wait till the x1000 serier comesoutand chose from that just my opionion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Agreed. A single GeForce 7800 GT will better the fps of a dual-6800GT setup, at higher quality, while producing less noise, using less power & creating less heat. And it's cheaper & easier to set up.
    "Vorsprung durch Technik" indeed. :D

Oh, and the 7800GT is so close to 6800GT levels price-wise, you'd be a fool to consider anything else. Here's a nice example

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Damn that sounds great. That should save me a few yo's. Thanks for the replies, really appreciate the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Not sure if you got this; sorry. But I meant to have a link to the BFG 7800GT OC on OcUK there.
    It's mad; one of the BEST brands in the world, selling a pre-overclocked card for possibly the cheapest price in the UK!

Kinda makes me wish I was more into the whole FPS scene :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

The whole SLI is pretty much bad value for money. Instead of one card depreciating in value, you've two of them. I also would go the 7800 route too. If I had the cash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Wacked

Im building a system at the moment. I have given it a lot of thought, so I decided to buy the sli motherboard so that I have the option, but for the moment i'm only getting one card. Best of both worlds.:D .
    I cant wait, asus sli delux motherboard, athlon 64 3500+ chip. 2gb ram, with space for 2 more. And 1, ( for the moment) 6800gt 256 card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

Check out these Benchmark test results for yourself.

One reviewers opinion:
    "All in all the GeForce 7800 GTX has raised the bar once more, not only in terms of performance but also in terms of heat production, noise and power consumption. The GeForce 7800 GTX is the best performing, coolest running and quietest graphic card on the market today. It however comes at a price premium though, as with a price tag of around $599 you can also pick up two GeForce 6800 GTs which will buy you better performance in most cases. If you absolutely need the best possible performance from a single card then the GeForce 7800 GTX delivers on all counts, enabling high-resolution gaming with full graphic detail settings on the majority of games."

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_7800_gtx/page10.asp
    http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1806/
    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2496&p=4
    http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=806&pageID=1613

Though if I were you I'd get a SLI motherboard and one 7800GTX and then later add on another 7800GTX or you could wait for the 8800GTX etc... :D

Advertisement