Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You know you've been in Sweden too long when...

• 27-10-2005 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

The first thing you do upon entering a bank/post office/chemist etc. is to look for the queue number machine.

You accept that you will have to queue to take a queue number.

A sharp intake of breath has become part of your vocabulary, as has the sound ”Jah hahh”

Your old habit of being "fashionably late" is no longer acceptable. You are always on time.

You refuse to wear a hat, even in minus 20 degree weather.

Your front step is beginning to resemble a shoe shop.

You have undergone a transformation:
    a: you accept blodkorv as food
    b: you accept surströmming as food
    c: you accept alcohol as food
    d: you accept...

An outside temperature of 5 degrees C is mild.

You think that riding a bicycle in the snow is a perfectly sensible thing to do.

You have your own innebandy club.

You think that if you smoke a joint you will wind up in an insane asylum. [or become a habitual criminal]

It seems reasonable that even those begging for money at T-centralen reach for their pocket as the melodic music of the Swedish mobile phone resounds.

You start to differentiate between types of snow.

A fun way for people to pass a wintry afternoon is to watch a Bandy match outdoors when it's minus 20 degrees.

You put tomato sauce (as in Heinz Big Red) on your macaroni. Just tomato sauce. And love it.

You think horse meat is a totally acceptable sandwich topping.

You don't get surprised when kids come trick-or-treating during Easter, all dressed up like witches.

You think there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

You haven't been to the pub on a Monday for five years.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭XT_Dweezil

biko wrote:
    The first thing you do upon entering a bank/post office/chemist etc. is to look for the queue number machine. ---True

You accept that you will have to queue to take a queue number. ---True

A sharp intake of breath has become part of your vocabulary, as has the sound ”Jah hahh” ---True

Your old habit of being "fashionably late" is no longer acceptable. You are always on time. ---True

You refuse to wear a hat, even in minus 20 degree weather.
    ---True

Your front step is beginning to resemble a shoe shop.
    ---True

a: you accept blodkorv as food ---Not gonna happend
    b: you accept surströmming as food ---Nope
    c: you accept alcohol as food ---True
    d: you accept...

An outside temperature of 5 degrees C is mild.
    ---True

You think that riding a bicycle in the snow is a perfectly sensible thing to do.
    ---True

You have your own innebandy club.
    ---True

You think that if you smoke a joint you will wind up in an insane asylum. [or become a habitual criminal] ---Hmm..never tried

It seems reasonable that even those begging for money at T-centralen reach for their pocket as the melodic music of the Swedish mobile phone resounds.
    ---I´m on the WestCoast, we don´t have a T-Central

You start to differentiate between types of snow.
    ---True, the eskimos have 27 words for snow, swedes have 5-7

A fun way for people to pass a wintry afternoon is to watch a Bandy match outdoors when it's minus 20 degrees. ---Nope, i´m a Hockey fan

You put tomato sauce (as in Heinz Big Red) on your macaroni. Just tomato sauce. And love it. ---True

You think horse meat is a totally acceptable sandwich topping.
    ---True

You don't get surprised when kids come trick-or-treating during Easter, all dressed up like witches. ---Well the gate is locked so i would be surpriced is they get through

You think there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.
    ---True

You haven't been to the pub on a Monday for five years.
    ---hmm..as a student you might give it a visit on a monday

That was fun :D

So bacisally i´m been here to long, but i only moved back 2 months ago :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 killermonkey

he he i could only relate to some of those but they all seemed true from my experience! could i ask how ye are interested in scandinavia or especially sweden and swedish? i love the country the culture the language... everything about it! im in first year college but my course is totally unrelated to sweden/swedish and i want to take a year out to spend there as an erasmus student if possible. any chance anyone here has done that? hej da!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

biko wrote:
    The first thing you do upon entering a bank/post office/chemist etc. is to look for the queue number machine. True

You accept that you will have to queue to take a queue number. True

A sharp intake of breath has become part of your vocabulary, as has the sound ”Jah hahh” True

Your old habit of being "fashionably late" is no longer acceptable. You are always on time. True

You refuse to wear a hat, even in minus 20 degree weather. False

Your front step is beginning to resemble a shoe shop. True

a: you accept blodkorv as food False
    b: you accept surströmming as food False
    c: you accept alcohol as food False
    d: you accept... False

An outside temperature of 5 degrees C is mild. True

You think that riding a bicycle in the snow is a perfectly sensible thing to do. False

You have your own innebandy club. False

You think that if you smoke a joint you will wind up in an insane asylum. [or become a habitual criminal] True

It seems reasonable that even those begging for money at T-centralen reach for their pocket as the melodic music of the Swedish mobile phone resounds. False

You start to differentiate between types of snow. True

A fun way for people to pass a wintry afternoon is to watch a Bandy match outdoors when it's minus 20 degrees. True

You put tomato sauce (as in Heinz Big Red) on your macaroni. Just tomato sauce. And love it. True

You think horse meat is a totally acceptable sandwich topping. False

You don't get surprised when kids come trick-or-treating during Easter, all dressed up like witches. False

You think there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing. False

You haven't been to the pub on a Monday for five years. False

haven't lived in Sweden long (despite being Swedish) hence the many false answers. it is very funny and almost all true for many people i know though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

A few more:

The reason you take the ferry to Finland is:
    a: duty free vodka
    b: duty free beer
    c: to party hearty...no need to get off the boat in Helsinki, just turn around and do it again on the way back to Sweden.

Your coffee consumption exceeds 6 cups a day and coffee is too weak if there is less than 10 scoops per pot.

You pass a supermarket and think "Wow, it is open, I had better go in an buy something!"

You hear loud-talking passengers on the train. You immediately assume:
    a: they are drunk
    b: they are Finnish
    c: they are American
    d: all of the above

Having to book seat numbers at a cinema makes perfect sense. And you sit in your booked seat even if there are only 2 other people there and your seat is in the front row, on the side.

You associate Friday afternoon with a trip to systembolaget.

You get offended if, at a dinner party, someone fails to look you in the eyes after raising their glass for a toast

Seeing a young woman with lit candles stuck to her head no longer disturbs you.

You accept you must walk 2 kilometres to collect your book/tape from the Post Office, because they don't deliver small packages (or large ones)

When offered a bottle or can of beer the first thing you look at is the alcoholic percentage.

You know that ”Extrapris” goods are cheaper, even though your English mind translates the word as ”extra price”

You wonder how you ever lived with wall to wall carpeting

Even the 22 stone amateur body-builder uses the handicapped door-opener instead of "straining" himself and you think nothing of it. In fact, you do it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

You never say you'll meet someone at "half five" because it's just so ambiguous.

You ask for seven of everything because you are so pleased to hear yourself pronounce "sju".

You start sentences with "For sure, ..."

You ask the person standing in front of you, "where are you sitting?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

When speaking in English you say "of course" after every sentence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

davros wrote:
    You ask for seven of everything because you are so pleased to hear yourself pronounce "sju".
    SSShheeeeewww stora stark, please :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭XT_Dweezil

When speaking in English you say "of course" after every sentence

And if you´re finnish-swedish then you say "basically"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

biko wrote:
    SSShheeeeewww stora stark, please
    Mine's a turkisk peppar, thanks :D

Skål!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ae428nc1wvr5bg

You accept that you must register your compost heap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Mmmm... Turkisk peppar... Especially the fruity ones.

Advertisement