Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copper Ageing

Options
  • 27-10-2005 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

Ok, If Rookads around, this will challenge (even) you.
    Has anybody come across this finish on copper sheets? This is used on a new building, not just trims and valleys, but most of the building is sheeted with the stuff. I’ve no idea what it’s called, or how one would maintain it. Graffiti is a problem also
    I’ve attached 2 photos. Note the streaks on back, might give some clue as to how the finish is applied.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Tapest,

Y'all is tryin te yank mu chain ? :D:D

From the photos it looks like natural patination of the copper, on a roof or valley it will turn green over time which acts as a protective coating on the copper sheet.

If the water flows too fast like a wall clad with copper it will turn brown because the water tends to wash the patina away and prevents it turning green.

The answer to the vertical copper panels turning green has been to use pre-patinated copper, that way the green finish is on the copper from day one and even sections that should by right turn brown have the aged look.

Did i gets it right fer Ye ?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

rooferPete wrote:
    Hi Tapest,

Y'all is tryin te yank mu chain ? :D:D

Did i gets it right fer Ye ?

What can I say??...If the man knows, the man knows.
    But it was a challenge and not a test…. of your ability / knowledge. And your sharp barbed comments wound me. You know only too well that I’m a sensitive creature (private sulk). lol
    It is indeed a new building and the panels (and there are a lot of them) are near vertical.
    Now, for 64cents (I don’t do million dollar questions) Do you know (and you probably do) how this “pre-patinated copper” effect is achieved. How would one do this on natural copper in sitiu? Secondary question would be graffiti removal without damaging finish.
    Feel free to go into as much detail as you can, you can even go all technical on me.
    Any help appreciated
    Regards
    t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Tapest,

I'll PM you tomorrow, it's a bit late now, do you have any idea of what was used to deface the panels ?

Advertisement