Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I still a tenant, legally?

Options
  • 27-10-2005 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi there. I hope I've put this into the right forum.

My ex-boyfriend and I were renting a house together until I moved out recently.
    My name is on the lease in partnership with my ex.
    My ex is still living in the house and I need to return to the house sometime next week to pick up some valuable items that I forgot to take the first time(moved out in a hurry, horrible break up).

I still have my key to the house(which I will return when I have collected the last of my stuff).
    My plan is to ring/email him beforehand to let him know the day/time that I will be back(so that he won't be there).

The thing is, I am wondering where I stand if he refuses to allow me to enter the house / has changed the locks or alarm code / has destroyed my possessions.
    If he just tells me to get lost when I contact him, would I be legally trespassing by entering the house without his permission?

I know that this is a "what if" scenario. But I want to be prepared for his refusal or playing of games by knowing where I stand in relation to my current tenancy of the house.
    (The house is difficult to get to, so I don't want to have to travel to there more than once more).

Thanks so much for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Are you still paying rent?
    Did the last time you paid rent cover the period of your visit ?

If so then you should be entitled to go in.
    If not then I would think not.

Legally I should think that you speak to a solicitor.

Advertisement