Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with replacing internal doors

Options
  • 27-10-2005 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi,

Our walls upstairs are not the normal thickness. They are about 30mm thick and hence our door frames are about the same size too. We are looking to replace the frames and doors (house is 40 years old) but are told that the standard frame is 44mm thick and so we would have to build up the walls with plasterboard sheets in order to fit standard size frame,architrave etc. We don't want to go down this route as is messy and expensive and would have to get a large amount of plastering done afterwards

Has anyone had this problem or do you know if/where you can get door frames smaller than 44mm???

Thanks

Dools

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

b&q have them at 35mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dools

Thanks for reply - they would still be too wide. After lots of phone calls, I think I have sourced someone who may be able to do it. He has come across this issue before so is going to have a look tomorrow hopefully....

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

dools wrote:
    Thanks for reply - they would still be too wide. After lots of phone calls, I think I have sourced someone who may be able to do it. He has come across this issue before so is going to have a look tomorrow hopefully....

Hi
    Don't try and source 30mm doorframe.....source 30mm timber. A visit to Brooks, Heitons with an inch tape and measure their POA timber. If you were good enough at carpentry to replace doorframe your good enough to make them ( although you'll never get it as good as a good chippie) If you've got a carpenter, he'll have no trouble with it, childsplay to him.
    t

Advertisement