Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you garden in the winter?

Options
  • 27-10-2005 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how many people in Ireland get into their gardens during the cold months.

I know a lot of people love gardenning and probabbly get withdrawels over winter. Do any of you mow your lawns or pull weeds etc over winter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I love the garden on a cool winter saturday morning.
    You know the days, its not raining but the ground is damp. You are all wrapped up and can see your breath hang in the air. Everything is so fresh.
    I usually end up raking leaves, tidying, that type of work.

It is sooo relaxing and refreshing. Then when you are done, it is back into the house for a cuppa and a slice of hot apple tart. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

prospect - sound of that would nearly get me into the garden.

Can you do any planting etc in the winter? Have to admit I know very little about gardening. I have a garden of almost complete grass. That includes the flower beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Well, I am no expert in gardening at all.
    But most plants are sold with planting times on the instructions.

You are pretty safe planting alot of them as long as they get a good spell without frost. That is the main problem with winter planting.
    You could buy smaller plants and keep them potted in the house (somewhere warm that gets midday sun) and let them grow until spring, and then put them in your garden?

Advertisement