Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

something killing trees

Options
  • 27-10-2005 12:21pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I dont have much of a garden, infact I paved most of it , leaving a nice handy spot in the corner, I also removed some paving bricks to plant "py-ra-cantus" ( sorry about the spelling) so that they will grow up and around the house a bit, I like these as cats cant crawl through them, the will grow up a wall with out killing it like Ivy sometimes can, its green all year and will have a nice white flower in spring and a nice red/oprange berry this time of year.

Anyway, when i got the house I planted some of these, most are doing well ( apart from caterpillars that silk the leaves together and munch away) .
    The brick on the house front was painted, i hate this look so I had it treated professionally. The stuff they put on the wall burnt the paint off and to this day red dirt comes of the wall when its wet. basically it killed off one of my shrubs, I have since replaced it and the soil but still the new leaves burn up and turn white , i thought it might have been a fungus but I noticed that a weed that grew at the base was also turning white. I think the acid so still coming out of the wall, I have tried sealing it up ( with clear red brick water sealant from woodies) but it made no difference, has anyone ever sorted such an issue out before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Stoner wrote:
    The brick on the house front was painted, i hate this look so I had it treated professionally. The stuff they put on the wall burnt the paint off and to this day red dirt comes of the wall when its wet. basically it killed off one of my shrubs, I have since replaced it and the soil but still the new leaves burn up and turn white , i thought it might have been a fungus but I noticed that a weed that grew at the base was also turning white. I think the acid so still coming out of the wall, I have tried sealing it up ( with clear red brick water sealant from woodies) but it made no difference, has anyone ever sorted such an issue out before?

Sounds like the stripper soaked into the wall, and then wasn't nuetralised. eg After using standard Nitromors on wood, you need to wash the wood with white spirit to nuetralise the remaining stripper, before repainting. DO you know what was used on your brickwork?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Good idea, I still have some of it at home ( the guy gave me a bit for the outside wall) I'll give the name to my Big Chemical Brother and he can put his education to use

thanks

Advertisement