Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat 5 cable

Options
  • 27-10-2005 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

lads I'm startin to think I know absoulutely nothin

The new house is wired with Cat 5 cable what does this mean i know i should have asked the builder but forgot

Cheers

eddie

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Eddie it just means that they used a better quality cable for your phones ( they may also have pulled in a CAT5 cable to your TV points) it is possible depending on when that cables ended up that you could run a small home computer network.
    Its not great for TVs as these would need CAT6a or CAT 7 to carry a decent quality signal.
    Depending on how much CAT5 cable he used (ie did he give you CAT5 speeaker points etc) you could do alot of things.
    there is alot made of what you can do with cat 5 cabling and how much of it you have.
    My guess is that he ran all your phones back to one point and brought in an incommer from eircom, most likely a home network is your best bet to make use of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭roamer

What kind of terminal connections can you put at the end of cat5 apart from rj45's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

roamer wrote:
    What kind of terminal connections can you put at the end of cat5 apart from rj45's?
    you can use rj11 or bt phone connectors, if you're using it for phone. obviously you don't then use all 8 conductors on the same connector.

most baluns for audio/video or tv over cat5 like kat5 or this use rj45 connectors at the cat5 end.

i don't know what people use when they're doing speakers over cat5.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

true, but your better off fitting the rj45 as an rj12 connection will fit into an rj45 connection plate.
    All the fancy stuff TVs, speakers etc usually have an rj45 connection adapter so fitting rj45 is the bast option

Advertisement