Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring Phone Jack

Options
  • 27-10-2005 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi there,

My builder finished the job but left the telephone wire hanging from the (uncovered i.e. no phone jack/cover) flush phone socket. So I need to buy a phone jack, wire it up and screw it in. I have never wired a phone jack before. I have not had a look at the wires coming in, I presume there are three wires. The thing is, what is the wiring configuration for a phone jack here?

thanks,

- Paul.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Hi Paul,

Here is a pic of how my (incoming line) is wired in our new house. (4 wires)

We had 7 outlets in the house pre-wired but not connected. Once you have connected your Incoming wires just test using a phone to make sure you get a tone. Then you can add additional lines (2 wire) to any other pre-wired lines in the house.

Garyh3

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

Thanks a million for the pic, that makes it easy for me.

I only have one phone socket in the house (its a small house). Do you know what the best way would be to install a phone upstairs, given the fact that there is only one phone socket? I could probably just take another wire from that socket and just lead it upstairs to another phone socket?

thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Just get a base station with multiple hand sets (digital) Then I dont think you need a 2nd line... but I could be wrong....

Garyh3

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I agree the wireless option is the handy way
    if you want to wire it, its cables in parallel,

ie you only need to hook up two wires ( usually the outside two connections as per the pic provide) so connect a cable into each of the two outside connections, buy another connection and at the other end of the new cable hook the same coloured cables into the same outside connections. once again just leave the phone plugged in and suck it and see if your stuck, its harmless enough

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Thanks a million for the pic, that makes it easy for me.

I only have one phone socket in the house (its a small house). Do you know what the best way would be to install a phone upstairs, given the fact that there is only one phone socket? I could probably just take another wire from that socket and just lead it upstairs to another phone socket?

thanks again.
    go with Garyh3
    Dect digital phones....and as an extra you have an internal / intercom system. look for the ones with handsfree speaker....no more expensive
    t

• Advertisement
Advertisement