Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Cable through Plasterboard

Options
  • 26-10-2005 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

I need to run some cable through plasterboard in my kitchen for extra sockets and lights switches. Does anyone have any useful tips for threading the cable through the plasterboard studs and then filling the holes in the plasterboard after? I’m hoping that I won’t have to make very big holes in the plasterboard to do this.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Use a bit polyfill to fill the holes lad, put plenty off it and let it over flow the hole, let it set, sand it off, paint it then bobs your uncle and Marys your first cousins girlfriend

• Registered Users Posts: 27,136 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Get something long, stiff and flexible.
    Wire coathanger if you dont need to go to far, I use 6ft piece of qualpex and it does the job perfectly (you can then run the wire through the pipe and just pull the pipe back out over it.

Make sure you you fix the wire or string firmly to whatever you are using to poke through the wall, nothing worse than the poker appearing at the other end minus your pull-through :D

best of luck.

When making holes in walls, measure twice, cut once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

You could buy some fish tape from an electrical supplier. Very handy stuff. What about studs? Are you just going up and down the plasterboard and running the cables left and right on top of the kitchen cabinets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Buy a lenght on pencil trunking. The lid off this is perfect for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

is it to be run above the worktop? what I did was do it before I tiled the splash back and just cut a channel...who cares what it looks like as it will be tiled over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

I like this advice:)
    Are you just going up and down the plasterboard and running the cables left and right on top of the kitchen cabinets.
    I'm running cables in all directions, some behind tiles which I'm not going to be too fussy about, but others will be going through studs as well and this is the part I'm more concerned about getting right as I could make a right mess if not done properly.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

GreeBo wrote:

U been watchin Tommy Walsh too much

• Registered Users Posts: 27,136 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Lex Luthor wrote:
    U been watchin Tommy Walsh too much
    Does he say that?
    I got it from the old man.
    Another useful one regarding cutting things (usually wire) is

"Better to be looking at it, than looking for it"

i.e. cut it longer than you need.

Advertisement