Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Tub

Options
  • 26-10-2005 9:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondered if anyone had fitted a hot tub on decking before?
    I have put extra support under where the tub is going with hardcore in between all the frame supports. I have also ran a 30amp cable off the house 60amp RCD out to the point that its going.
    I got the tub off ebay for a very good price and can not wait for it to arrive at the end of the week.
    ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭charlesanto

Let us know when you're havin the party ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

I have waited over three months for it to arrive so there will be a party.:D

Wondered if anyone else has a hot tub?
    Have you had any issues with pumps leaks and water condition etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

How much was the tub? How much do you expect it will cost to run it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Newshound

Dont put it on the decking. Cut a hole in the decking. Pour a 4inch concrete base and and place the tub directly on the concrete.
    Reason being that the weight of the tub plus water and 4 people will be over 10 tons depending on how much water it holds. Also make sure their is a safety breaker on your mains.
    Good luck. Nothing nicer than sitting outside in a bubbling, steaming hot tub in the middle of winter and it pissing rain. You cant feel the cold air and the cold rain feels fantastic on your face. I'm not joking, It really is magic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I've seen hot tubs on decking recently...

I'm in the process of buying a log cabin in Cavan and one of the optional extras is a hot tub on the deck. Sadly I cannot afford what they want for it at the moment (€11k):eek:
    But the showhouse has a hot tub on the deck for the last few months full with water and seems ok. I haven't looked underneath to check for any additional support in the deck sub floor yet, but thats my next port of call in the event that I do get one in a year or so.

Just out of curiosity, what did you pay for it and do you have any pics of it?

I'd be interested in making a comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Newshound

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I've seen hot tubs on decking recently...

I'm in the process of buying a log cabin in Cavan and one of the optional extras is a hot tub on the deck. Sadly I cannot afford what they want for it at the moment (€11k):eek:
    But the showhouse has a hot tub on the deck for the last few months full with water and seems ok. I haven't looked underneath to check for any additional support in the deck sub floor yet, but thats my next port of call in the event that I do get one in a year or so.

Just out of curiosity, what did you pay for it and do you have any pics of it?

I'd be interested in making a comparison.

But those hot tubs will be supported. The decking was probably built with the intention of having that weight in that particular spot.
    OP you could always get an engineer to check the load bearing of the decking but be very careful about putting that kind of weight on wooden posts, which are probably only held together with nails or screws. Would be an expensive mistake to make, so check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Newshound wrote:
    But those hot tubs will be supported. The decking was probably built with the intention of having that weight in that particular spot.
    ya, like I say, I have to check it out but I'd say it prob was

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Spot on Newshound,

Hot tubs hold a tremendou amount of water, and hence there are serious load issues involved. Any large hot tub would have to have additional structural support on a standard deck arrangement.

kadman:)

Cheers for the info.
    I built the deck on a 4x3 frame. The 4x3 lengths are spaced 1 1/2 feet apart and I have noggins connecting them every 2 feet. In between each section I have filled them with hardcore then the decking planks are fixed on top. I then built a gazebo to surround the hot tub using 3x3 support legs and frame.
    The problem with sinking the tub into the deck as suggested in an earlier post is that you need to be able to get into the sides for maintenance.

Due to a delay at customs the tub will arrive on Thursday. I will let you know how the instillation goes.

The tub cost 3000 euro shipping from the US was 1200 euro and import tax was about 800 euro. There is a ten year warranty on the shell and two year parts. The company is Blue water spas and they trade on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-2006-BAJA-6-7-Per-Hot-Tub-Spa-12-Colors-Spas-Tubs_W0QQitemZ4415351082QQcategoryZ42240QQcmdZViewItem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

We have a hottub at home thats on decking. As far as I know it was built with the intention of putting a hottub on it so it had crossed beams etc.

Im sure youve looked into it but just incase theres a fair few chemicals youll need to maintain water quality.

Do you find you have to use many chemicals to keep the water clean? My tub comes with an ozanator thar is suposed to reduce the amount of chems needed. Where do you get the chemicals from?

Advertisement