Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ectogenesis and abortion

Options
  • 26-10-2005 5:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭

If/when ectogenesis (artificial womb) technology becomes a reality, how would this affect peoples stance on abortion.

If the mother does not want to bring the foetus to term or to have any legal relationship with the child, should the father or the state be able to step in and take responsibility?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

democrates wrote:
    If/when ectogenesis (artificial womb) technology becomes a reality, how would this affect peoples stance on abortion.

If the mother does not want to bring the foetus to term or to have any legal relationship with the child, should the father or the state be able to step in and take responsibility?
    Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

A few predictions of which at least some may be correct, even if most are not ;)

We should see a decrease the rate of single mothers in Western Society as many pregnant women who would have been morally unable to go through with an abortion would be able to ‘transfer’ the foetus without the same ethical issues.

Undoubtedly cost would be an issue and this is where we would probably see pro-Life groups, in particular, put their money where their mouths are and fund or subsidise the practice. Subsidy is inevitable. Some religious groups will still oppose it though, on moral or biblical grounds.

I suspect the Roman Catholic and mainstream Protestant Churches will take a more pragmatic view and will state that while the mother bringing the child to term would be preferable (especially as it will most likely be safer for the foetus than ectogenesis), it’s better than abortion. Don’t be surprised to see the Roman Catholic Church get back into the orphanage business in a big way either.

Industries that avail of foetal material, such as the biogenetics and cosmetics industries may experience short-term material shortages until legislation can catch up with the drop in supply and liberalize the acquisition process.

You might think that the ability for a foetus to come to term without a mother might reopen the whole “is it human” debate, but probably not. Status quo will most likely be maintained and countries with abortion will keep it, perhaps favouring it’s future phased abolition in favour of ectogenesis - but only once it has been in place long enough to see what the cost implications will be.

The decision to replace abortion with ectogenesis or not, in the long-term, will probably be more based upon costs and the issue of the West’s currently falling birth rate than any moral considerations.

Meanwhile conservatives and liberals alike will quietly and sanctimoniously fail to promote the use of ectogenesis in Africa.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Meanwhile conservatives and liberals alike will quietly and sanctimoniously fail to promote the use of ectogenesis in Africa.
    Not to mention a negligible effect in Russia or China I would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

democrates wrote:

I would be all for it but I would imagine that it will cost a small fortune for each child. Who is going to pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Wicknight wrote:
    I would be all for it but I would imagine that it will cost a small fortune for each child. Who is going to pay?
    As I suggested, many if not all pro-Life groups would probably get involved - I’d expect charities would spring up specifically gearing towards this.

Religious groups could be guaranteed to get involved in the raising of such children too.

Governments would probably also subsidize the practice, in part because it would be a far more popular solution to unwanted pregnancies than abortion, but also because it could be, if handled correctly, a handy population growth stimulant for Western economies. The future tax revenue from these kids could essentially mean it would pay for itself - if handled correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Or, we could see these children used to create armies...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement