Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldous Huxley

Options
  • 26-10-2005 5:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

Just finished reading Brave New World. One of those books I'd been meaning to read for ages but only got round to recently. It's very good.

Anyone read his other stuff. Doors to Perception?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭pukey

i got doors of perception and heaven and hell in one book. both pretty short but well worth reading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭ratboy

I thought Brave New World was dissapointing, the concept was good but the style was slow and sluggish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,146 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Brave New World was alright - a weaker version of 1984 i thought, but relativly enjoyable. Some odd style in it though - that bit where he was telling three or four stories at once, switching between characters every other sentence was a bit crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

Yeah, the start of the book is a bit odd stylistically. It's better when he just gets on to the characters, the Savage in particular.

You're right though, it's no 1984. But then again, they are very different variations on similar themes.

A lot of people seem to think that Huxley's a pretentious writer. Some of the words in it are in there just to show off, which is annoying.

I'll give the other two a go all the same.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Jay Tomio

I enjoyed a Brave New World it's emi-required reading, regarding dystopia along with Orwell, and Bradbury), I'd also suggest Jack London's Iron Heel which no doubt influenced both. It's not like his somwhat simpleton (and popular) nature/adventure books (Call of the Wild etc) but one of his many lesser known quality ones.

I also enjoyed Huxley's Island - and it would be more apt to call Orwell's 1984 a version of the Huxley, not the other way around as Huxley's work predates Orwell by almost 20 years.
    A lot of people seem to think that Huxley's a pretentious writer. Some of the words in it are in there just to show off, which is annoying.

While others think he is simply not elementary.:) in my experience anytime a writer get described as pretentious it usuallly means he ends up being a genius that is not accesible to everyone simply because they can read (Joyce, Pynchon are some examples of authors called pretentious byu some and who are both obvious geniuses). I enjoy Orwell, but don't consider him in the same league as a writer overall compared to Huxley. Huxley has wonderful and isnightful non-fictional essays, not to mention other great works of ficton.

• Advertisement

just started Brave New World, seems good so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

i enjoyed brave new world and thought that huxley created a more concrete world than orwell. that said, i still preferred 1984 because i feel that stylistically speaking, orwell is the better writer. i have both island and eyeless in gaza, but have yet to read either.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭crackity_jones

Much like Dublin's Finest _Brave New World_ was a book I'd been meaning to read for years. After reading I would have to admit to a little disappointment and anti-climax probably because I'd built the book up quite a lot and was expecting something along the lines of Orwell's _1984_, one of my favourite books.

I would compare BNW more to Bradbury's _Fahrenheit 451_. They are both rather distinctive in terms of style. Something some people might mistake for pretentiousness. They are both books which I believe require a second reading to pick up their respective messages.

Incidentally, anyone who enjoyed Orwell's _1984_ might consider looking up his essay collections. Orwell is a wonderfully lucid and clear writer. He did write one of the great style guides after all. And many of his essays are eerily prophetic. And he wrote on literally -everything-.

finished BNW. thought it was good but not as good on 1984. thought orwell created a more believable, more likely world. will probably get "island" if i can though

Advertisement