Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access mysql remotely from XP command line

Options
  • 25-10-2005 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

I have my mysql server on my webspace online. I am using phpadmin to alter, databases / tables but want to use the command line if possible, phpadmin too slow. I am running Win Xp and want to know is it possible to connect remotely through the command line.

Otherwise EMS SQL Manager good?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Ask your host for shell access which will give you a command prompt to work from. Depends on the package you have of course.
    The hosting package I have doesn't allow remote connections to the mysql server.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

No shell connection, does this mean I cannot connect through command line?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭jum4

Have you installed MySQL on your pc?

Once you've got it you can configure it to use your existing mysql database provided you have set up correct permissions for remote connections.

After it's all set up you will be able use the command prompt.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭PhantomBeaker

Just as a quick point.

It may not be possible to connect via commandline to the mysql server - it is possible to set the server up such that it doesn't listen to attempts to connect from the outside. Instead it only listens to internal connections such as from the web server or from the mysql client when run on the server. It's generally seen as being more secure, as people can't just plug in different usernames and passwords from outside the server to try and get access to the db (Because in cases like that, the db is quite freqently the central point of failure for a website, as all the data lives there.)

But it's still worth a try. Just thought I'd warn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

Thanks for the help

In the end I decided on EMS SQL Manager. It's not command line but I can type SQL queries straight out. Still trying to understand how it works but it seems to be reasonable good. Much quicker than PHPMyadmin.
    Graphical interface is nice but will take a bit of getting used to. A refresh button would be nice....

• Advertisement
Advertisement