Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

confusing phrase in sentence

Options
  • 25-10-2005 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭

have a translation to do, got the jist of most of it but one section of one of the last sentences is really throwing me off.
    can anyone help?

Ba léir go raibh beagán pointeála déanta faoina chomhair ach gur bheag de réaltóg an chaighdeáin a bheadh le bronnadh ar an té a bhí ina sheilbh roimhe.

the bold section is the bit confusing me.
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

réaltóg an chaighdeáin? that's odd. what's the context?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

yeah thats what i thought! its from a passage inClochmhóin by Joe Steve Ó Neachtain.

the rest of the passage consists of descriptions of the new parish a young priest is joining, the mean other priest etc. this part describes the new priest's house and the wild garden.

this sentence says it was clear that little cleaning had been done for his arrival, and something about the person who was there before him, but its the bit in the middle confusing me.

Seraphina wrote:

Ba léir go raibh beagán pointeála déanta faoina chomhair ach gur bheag de réaltóg an chaighdeáin a bheadh le bronnadh ar an té a bhí ina sheilbh roimhe.

Odd. Leaving out the réaltóg an chaighdeáin, the rest is something along the lines of: It was clear that... there would be very little of r. an ch. to give to the person who owned it before.

Is he talking about the Caighdeán as in the official standard of Irish?

i cant see why he would tbh, sure it doesn't matter the translation is due in today anyway, i'll ask the tutor and see what she says.

definitely must be some kind of phrase or saying, it doesn't seem to make any sense otherwise

Well, be sure to tell us - I'm intrigued!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

"Ba léir go raibh beagán pointeála déanta faoina chomhair ach gur bheag de réaltóg an chaighdeáin a bheadh le bronnadh ar an té a bhí ina sheilbh roimhe."

It was clear that a little tidying up had been done for him but the previous occupant would hardly have won a prize for the standard of the place.

Very loosely translated. I may be wrong and there may be a special meaning in Connemara for "réaltóg an chaighdeáin". I am surmising that'réaltóg' is used meataphorically like stars used in hotel classification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I'd go along with that, it looks like "stars of a standard" as in "gold stars for effort".

that makes alot of sense, but considering its a college course, i'm very wary of 'loose translations'
    i'll ask the tutor when i get it back tomorrow anyway, thanks for the replies!

Advertisement