Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scale drawings - how do you use scales

Options
  • 25-10-2005 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Can someone help me please. :)
    Right, im having trouble understanding different scales, ect...

Say i want to draw the front of a house which measures 13.4metres in reallife. I want to draw it on my page at scale 1:50.

Ive a scale ruler but i cant seem to grasp the whole concept of scales. On the scale ruler theres the 1:5 scale and on the same bit of the ruler is the 1:50 scale. Now, 1:50 is the same as 1:5, you just add on an extra zero??? I dont get this?

Can someone tell me what 13.5m is in 1:50 scale measuring off in centimeters on an ordinary centimetre ruler. Is it 26.8cm?

Also, is it correct to say that the larger the number your scaling to, the smaller the drawing will be. So if i draw it in scale 1:5 it`ll be way bigger than if drawn in scale 1:200?

Anyone know of any good books i can get to learn all this from the basics. Im doing a lot of tech drawing at college having never done it at school and i seem to have a mental block when it comes to scaling. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Dont bother with scale rulers, 1:50 means that the drawing is fifty times smaller than real measurments so just multiply the real measurments by 1/50

Advertisement