Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP! my laptop has an echo when listening to anything

Options
  • 25-10-2005 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hi,
    I recently installed outbreak a crap game onto my laptop when i got rid of it there was an echo on my laptop when listening to anything , even those crappy microsoft sounds echo. its driving me mad. I have checked the audio settings to no avale , i need help quick !:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Check for software that it may have installed to run at start to 'enhance' audio in MSCONFIG (Start->Run->MSCONFIG -6)
    And re-install the soundcard driver (Start->Run->devmgmt.msc->Sound,Video and Game Controllers -> Right-click on the sound card and uninstall.)
    Reboot.
    Check?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

ya just what Karoma said, the best thing to do is reinstall the drivers for it, if that dosent work.......kick the laptop......lol

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Also check if there is an inbuilt microphone.

This used to happen quite a bit with IBM Thinkpads - the microphone would pick up whatever came out of the speakers. If it was loud enough, you would also get a lovely high-pitched feedback screech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭motrocco

check that the wave mixer is not enabled.

Also heck to see if you are running any effects on the wave section.

Right click the speaker icon in the bottom right of taskbar.
    Select change audio properties.

This screen can be different on different machines I think but muck about it there and you should solve it.

mot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭crazy_dude6662

i have the same thing, can someone give a more detailed instructioin, im not great with computers past what a need to know, the sound driver im not sure what its called and i dont want to f**k the computer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Right click on "My Computer" on the desktop, and click on "Properties". Go to system > device manager, and the check to see what "Sound and Audio" devices you have. Once you see what manufacturer you have there, just search for drivers on the net, or post the name of the card here. I'm sure someone will help you out :)

Check also to see if you have "Hall Effect" or anything like that enabled in any Audio control panel software which the card manufacturer might provide.

Like in a previous reply, check to see if the microphone is enabled or not...

on system there is no device manager.

on system there is no device manager.
    Click the Hardware Tab, then the Device Manager button..

thanks, one more question, which on is the sound card, it dosnt just say sound card,the things are

audio codecs
    legacy audio drivers
    media control devices
    SiS1780 audio drivers
    unimodem half-duplex audio device

which is the sound card?

SiS1780 audio drivers <- presumably, this is your soundcard (And it's built into your computer's motherboard)
    To be honest, the first step I'd try is to right-click on that particular entry and then left-click Uninstall. Confirm removal. Restart your computer [The same/original driver will be reinstalled upon restart..]

• Advertisement

Thank You!!!!!!

it worked and it didnt, the echo isnt as bad so....

Right. Quickest and easiest way to rule out software that adds FX is via MSCONFIG (As used previously for OP):
    This does not uninstall an application or anything of the sort - it simply tells Windows not to load them automatically upon bootup.

Start -> Run -> msconfig -6 [This takes you straight to the startup tab]
    Click Disable All. [Otherwise, look through the list and see if anything obvious is there]
    Unplug your computer from (Inter)network connections.
    Reboot.
    Test.

If it worked: go back into msconfig and re-enable items 2/3 at a time starting with anything anti-virus related

didnt work :(

OK, just rule out configuration issues: back into Control Panel, this time open Sounds and Audio Devices -> Audio tab (Also, look around here for other tabs that may be specific to your machine) -> Audio Playback -> Advanced button -> check Speaker Setup (Change this to something more mundane) + test settings under the Performance tab.

Look for an updated driver from your computer manufacturer (And BIOS updates)

still aint working

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

crazy dude... you have tried muting the microphone in volume control havent you?

Start > Run > "sndvol32" [Enter]

If "Microphone" isnt one of the sliders, click Options > Properties and add it by ticking the box next to it.

Then, under "Microphone", click "Mute"

microphone is already muted

*shrug*
    Do you know when it first started to happen?
    If so: System Restore
    This does not remove your personal data; and the last Restore may be undone. However, it will remove recently modified configuration settings and added software/hardware.
    Start -> (All) Programs -> Acccessories -> System Tools -> System Restore
    Select Restore my computer to an earlier point..
    You will be presented with a calendar. Select a date when it was last working
    Click Next.. the machine tells you the above warning..next again and the computer does it's thing (Ensure it's plugged in) and restat itself ...

i fixed it on the options in sound, surround or stadium or pub was selected

• Advertisement
Advertisement