Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absinthe

Options
  • 19-09-2001 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Just saw a bottle of it in the local offy for £45 bills. Now I know your sposed to drink it with water and sugar etc etc.. but are all the stories about wormwood extract sending ya all trippy true? Anyone ever had a dozen shots plus of it? Might splash out some weekend.. just wondering what to expect...

:)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Unfortunately these days the amount of wormwood put into absinthe is strictly controled and you're not going to get the hallucinations associated with the old version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I dunno about that, drank far too much absinthe when a friend brought back a bottle from Brussels recently and we were all definitely see some weird stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

12 shots of it could be fatal.........

It's worth getting some, if only for a quick shot on your way to the pub to get you in the mood :)

Try Jadgermeister maybe, its an opiate as far as i remember :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

12 shots of it ? Book your coffin now. Unless you are a frequent drinker of it do not consume that much. Its is not Vodka and Red Bull. This is strong stuff. 3 or 4 shots will be way more than is needed I would think.

Be careful with it. There was a reason it was banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

Aha.. ok the reason for the mentioning of 12 shots was that i usually drink a half bottle of vodka before i go out to a club, usually in 4 to 5 drinks, im not trying to brag but its the usual amount i need to get in great form for going out. If i do nab a bottle ill be taking it easy like. Any serving suggestions other that sugar and water? :) cheers laeds!

• Advertisement

Chief I'll put it this way to you, my normal nights drinking is obscence, usually upwards of 15 shots, and I wouldn't drink more than 3-5 shots of this stuff... It can have a very bad effect on some ppl, and with others their in bliss. Kinda like marriage :D

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Originally posted by Kolodny
    I dunno about that, drank far too much absinthe when a friend brought back a bottle from Brussels recently and we were all definitely see some weird stuff.
    And that would have nothing got to do with the fact that the real stuff is 70% alcohol by volume?

It's strong stuff and can be just a bit rough going down - especially if it still too hot after putting burning sugar into it. I'd stick to 3 or less shots the first time and build up from there.

Cheers for the advice laeds! :)
    I WILL TAKE IT EASY!

Ansinthe is also a drink you just cannot enjoy. Its very hard to drink. Though raw vodka is too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,407 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by yellum
    Ansinthe is also a drink you just cannot enjoy. Its very hard to drink. Though raw vodka is too.

Nah, drink it right with water & sugar & it's quite nice.

But it's lethal strong: I had 2 one christmas eve & made 14 phonecalls that I don't remember.. :)

twas after some other drinks but still..

Al.

• Advertisement

http://www.seborabsinth.com/

Thats the one.. £30 sterling to buy it on line for a 50CL bottle.. you can get a 150CL bottle for £90 sterling online as well.. lower alcohol content than other absinthe @ 55% Vol (Vodka normally is 37.5%) but supposedly the highest wormwood content of any adsinthe. About a fiver cheaper to buy it online, so i just mught fork out soon, ooh and one of the spoons is pretty nifty looking too... :)

Originally posted by Trojan

Nah, drink it right with water & sugar & it's quite nice.

Sugar ? Water ? Ah, maybe thats why ? Just drank the shot straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭SHAMAN

Supposedly the most alcholic drink in the world.Illegal in some countries,Ireland 4 instance,you can kill a personin only mayb 10 shots,undiluted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭Panda

Oooh, thats dodgy stuff.

A friend of mine brought a lagan of it to Witnness, and i had about 2 shots of it. Twas terrible.

He got it in France, it was green and it was called "The Stranger". Cant remember the % tho...... funny that.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Had a couple of shots of the proper stuff... got it in a plastic coke bottle.... clear liquid. Goes down rough straight!! After that I was crazy drunk and so were the others that drank it. Really crazy drunk!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭rumpelstiltskin

make sure what you are buying is SEBOR ABSINTH.
    This is the best stuff.
    There are two varieties you can get, one is 55% and the other is 70%.

I was talking to the guy that imports it from czech republic, he recommended the 55% cos it has more Thujone in it.

Over here, theres a limit on the amount of Thujone they can legally have in one bottle. You can order it direct from Czech Republic and it's something like 5 times more potent.

If youre buying in Ireland, its a bit hard to find, although some off-licences do have one or two bottles.

Theres a company in Kilkenny that import it, its £35 a bottle (500ml).

The phone number I have is 056-52923
    But last time I ordered was about a year ago; I was meant to get some about 3 weeks ago but the number was constantly engaged, so they may have changed it/ stopped importing.

If anyone knows a new number for them I would really appreciate it if you posted it here.

www.seborabsinth.cz
    www.seborabsinth.com

They are both the same company; just bottled and marketed differently.

And avoid getting caught up in the whole absinth myth; try it for yourself! Its fun, but just dont try to down a whole bottle straight on your first time and you will be grand.

Originally posted by rumpelstiltskin
    If youre buying in Ireland, its a bit hard to find, although some off-licences do have one or two bottles.

For those Corkonians, Galvins on Washington St. stocks the 55% version lst time I checked... thats the last i remember of the incident tho...

Tis like any other shot, drunk properly, it's v nice, but if you start throwing back triple shots of it one after another, you're only asking for trouble. Just remember the higher alcohol content on your first try, it can catch out some ppl. That said, a prop sized mate of mine wasn't effected at all. But then again considering he's 20 stone worth of drinking machine, i wasn't really suprised :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Never tried the stuff myself, I kind of got turned off drinks like that after I had a few shots of Chartreuse in Gorbys one night. Complete black-out, not a clue of what happened the previous night. Very scary stuff.

Anyone ever drank a Vodka called Stolichnaya? That seems to have the same effect on me. hallucinations, balck-outs, the lot. Of course both times i drank the whole bottle....might have had something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

:eek:
    I had a somewhat bad experience a few months ago when i drank poiton (the strong illlegal stuff), i don't remeber anything past 10pm that night, complete blackout, and i usually remeber everything when after i drink.
    So i think i'll stay away from this absinthe for a while

nesf.... 22 stone here :) How many did yer mate have? just wondering as i might take a wee bit more then to try and get an effect.. ooh btw its £45 a bottle here up here in Donegal..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I've tried the Stolichnaya vodka... it's great. When I lived in London I used to get frozen Stoli's alot and I'd be seriously locked. I was telling someone about this recently and they asked me if freezing spirits isn't dangerous... and I had a flash in my head. I actually do think it's dangerous to cool down clear spirits.
    Can anyone verify this!?:confused:

If only from the contraction of the liquid, and thus a higher volume content of alcohol, I can't think of any, but then again I'm not a chemist.

Advertisement