Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone worked with Eucalyptus?

Options
  • 25-10-2005 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Has anybody worked Eucalyptus ( can you even work it?) I have a tree growing too near the house ( bout 40 feet high) that I'm going to cut down. I'm thinking of planking it ,if it can be used for woodwork othewise the stove gets it.

Would it be easier to cut and 'bark it' in the spring.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hi,

I have used it for woodturning. Its a notorious timber for moving and splitting, if not properly seasoned.

I found it to be a plain timber, both in grain and overall character. It would not be a favourite timber of mine. But no doubt it must have some use.

kadman:)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Thanks Kadman, in two minds now as to what to do with it. By the way thats a nice Stags head you carved. Is bog oak hard to carve?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hi Fingalian,

Bog oak is no more difficult to carve than any timber really. Sharp tools are always the necessity for any carving, or indeed any wood work project.

I suppose the secret for any wood be carver ( excuse the pun ) is to start with wood carvers lime to try out your skills, and improve them. Then move on to the timbers of your choice.

kadman:)

Advertisement