Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to identify .DB file

Options
  • 25-10-2005 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi all

I have recently been asked to extract information from a .db file supplied to me. My problem is that I have not been given any details about the type of database!!!

Is there any way of identifying what the type of database is from the db file I have. Is there some sort of header detail that can be used?

HELP!!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

There's a list of possibles here. Your best bet is to talk to whoever you got the .db file and find out where it came from and what it's used for. Also look for other files that were in the same folder, and a list of software installed on the machine it was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 mickh

Thanks for the heads up Stevenmu, but I had thought of trying that avenue already.

Waiting to hear about the engine from our client. Thought I might try to jump the gun!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭madramor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

If you're on unix it's most likely a Berkely DB file as madramor said.

You'd get that on windows too - in the mozilla cert database (cert7.db) for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Is there some sort of header detail that can be used?
    In theory, the first 2-4 bytes of a file should serve as an identifier for the type of file it is. For example, the first two bytes of a Zip-file encoded using the PK-Zip standard should always be 'PK'.

Google for "file magic number" for more info.

If that doesn't work, then have a quick squint into the file and see if it has anything more useful in there. F'r example, bytes 7-10 in a JPEG file should always contain the text JFIF.

And so on.

If none of that helps you....windows will try identifying the file-type over the internet if you let it, or you can just use trial-and-error on the possibilities, or you can ask whoever supplied the file (as already suggested)

jc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

I have worked with paradox database files in the past and they use the
    .db file extention.

If it is you could use ODBC (or ADO) to get access to its data.

Advertisement