Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phase changing cooling

Options
  • 25-10-2005 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

Howdy

Currently i have a Xaser III case with all those fans whirring away good-o. Added to this is mobo,cpu and gfx (7800GT in SLI) it gets pretty noisy when playing games but on the plus side it keeps my room warm...

Now I am looking at reducing the noise this machine makes with either water cooling or phase changing cooling.

Looking at the nVentive Mach II cooler. Where can you get them in Ireland or over the web. And will it work with my 4400+. Is there any PSU requirements for it when it starts etc...

Ideas comments suggestions please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

Are mach II's not noisy beasts aswell?
    I dont have one but quit a few on these forums do.
    Standard watercooling with a large passive radiator unless you plan on some serious overclocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

mach II aint gonna be much quiter... plus u still gotta cool ur gfx cards, which r prob making the most noise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

I am not really that pushed about overclocking, i just want quiet now ... its not overly loud watching dvds or anything but very noticable when the machine kicks it for playing games

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Whick as unklerosco has said is probably your graphics cards fans!

Get two Arctic coolers for the 7800GT's and you should see serious improvement in sound output. I've had the Xaser III and the fans weren't that load. Use a fanbus to control them (it's built in IIRC) and make sure they are clean - use compressed air to blow the dust out of them, and maybe regrease them. This will make a huge difference to sound.
    If your motherboard can handle it get a Zalman fanless northbridge cooler (NB47J) and use it instead of the stock NB (or SB) cooler.
    Then use a Zalman CNPS 7000 or CNPS 7700 and use the included fanmate to keep the RPM's down and you will have a really quiet system, without the hassle of watercooling or PC.

Thanks Wiz

Its a K8N Diamond from MSI..

I will look into that and see what I can do.. i do know when the stock AMD cooler fan hits high revs its well loud...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Ginger wrote:
    I am not really that pushed about overclocking, i just want quiet now ... its not overly loud watching dvds or anything but very noticable when the machine kicks it for playing games

no overclocking? then you wont be going for phasechange, only reeason you would go with the mach 2, it would be an expensive crime to buy one of these for just extra cooling without serious overclocking. They arent quiet and you cant get them over here. I shipped mine in from england
    http://www.extremeprometeia.com/
    very good crowd to deal with, have the manager on msn messanger, he's a sound bloke and REALLY helpful. Cost me between 500-700 (cant remember as it was well over a year now)

well ideally... once i have it installed, i will overclock the bejesus out of the chip..

Found something interesting. MSI have this app CoreCentre which when enabled turns down the fans .. I dont have quiet n cool enabled via the bios so must do it in the software level....

Anyways thanks for all that folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

You'll need to enable cool and quiet in the bios and install the athlon 64 driver from www.amd.com . Then set the windows power management settings to anything other than "Always On". That should turn cool n quiet on for you.

Advertisement