Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desperate for help!

Options
  • 24-10-2005 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

I keep getting messages like this on pop up boxes. Are they proper serious problems or trying to direct me to spyware etc. Thanks to this board I'm after getting AVG and AD spyware which is helping a lot but I'm still getting these messages.
    Message from Microsoft to inform you about a virus detection on (date time)

Microsoft Windows has encountered an Internal Effor
    Your windows registry is corrupted.
    Microsoft recommends a complet system scan.

Microsoft reccommends
    http://scanmyreg.com

To repair now.

Also getting the same asking to download regestry cleaner 32 ??

Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

This is probably more suited to the Windows board.

Here's my 2c anyway, which I hope I'm not banned for :/

If your PC boots and everything works fine, then personally I'd ignore any warnings of "registry corruption", when your registry is truly corrupted, you won't need a popup box to tell you about it... the BSOD at every boot is usually warning enough. :eek:
    There can be 'errors' in the registry without any obvious outward signs, but usually they're minor to the point of insignificance and cause no ill effect.
    The phrase "registry corruption" seems to me like an alarmist sales buzzword... and I've seen it used a lot in that context.

The only thing I'd look at here is the source of this message... I've had web advertisements tell me about all kinds of things that need fixing on my PC (which they would have no possible way of knowing one way or the other), and conveniently enough have a commercial software solution that will remedy it... these often (pathetically try to) imitate real Windows dialogs.
    So yeah, what I'd be more worried about is what's spawning these pop-ups... rather than the content there of.
    A screenshot might help track this down... to identify it as a web-based popup or something like a javascript or messenger-service dialog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

To be honest i recon your registry is ok.
    Start downloading and using the following

Spybot
    Microsoft anti spyware beta
    Zonealarm
    Avg

Should pull things back to normal ish

Advertisement