Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no power

Options
  • 24-10-2005 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭

hey,

just put together a new machine and when i hit the power on button the fan spins up for a second and thats it. no power whatsoever.

any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Yeah, that's the flux capacitor. It's broken.

I can tell that right off since you've given such a detailed and concise description of the problem.

Check that everything is plugged in properly to the motherboard and that all connections are aligned correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

sorry

i bought this kit from komplett

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=301189&cks=PRL

and put it in this case,

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/40524/art/advance/pc-kymic-805-w-case-white.html

i have checked all connections. i have since removed the ram, cpu and graphics card and tried booting without each and still nothing but just one spin of the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Have you deffo got the extra power cable in the board.
    The one with 4 cables in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

yeah i did actually forget about that one. before i connected there was nuffin, since i connected it im getting just one spin from the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Sounds like a short circuit somewhere.
    It happened to me once. I disconnected everything and removed the m/b and then put back just the m/b with the CPU and ram connected. Then I connected the m/b power cable and the cables for the buttons/lights on the case front. I tried it and it powered up and then beeped because I did not install the video card. Then I added all my cards and connected up all my drives and there power and data cables. Everything was fine after that. A short of the motherboard severe enough to short the PSU will in some cases give you one spin of the PSU fan which will mean that a thermal cutout on the PSU has tripped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

u tried just powering up with just mobo + ram ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

make sure you have enough thermal paste from the cpu to the heatsink. sometimes machines power up for a second, and sense that the temperature is rising too quickly, and power off

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Take the mobo out of the case and put it on the foam that came with it on a table, attach ram, cpu, video card and psu,

then see if it works if it doesnt remove a component every time until it does, if it doesnt work your mobo has biten the dust,

if it works great:D , make sure to put the brass studs in the right holes so that they are not shorting anything and put it back in the case.

that power supply could be questionable it says 400watt but it is a very cheap power supply and they are always overated it might be more like 250watt and that could be your problem

If you can get a loan of a decent 400watt poer supply and that will more than likely solve your problem, because €30 for a case and 400watt power supply is to good to be true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

a fortran 400watt psu should be fine, they are a good brand

Advertisement