Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SCSI problem

Options
  • 13-12-1999 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a Tekram 390u scsi controller connected to a 10Gb h/d which was working fine for a few months. But then I started to notice that the disk seemed to be thrashing alot, and generally access times became terrible. BTW, there's buckets of free space on the disk.

I swapped out the card for an old Adaptec 1540 IDE and performance seems to have improved marginally.

I'm running Win95, 128Mb ram, Celeron 400 o'cd to 450. Could it have anything to do with PCI timing since I'm overclocked? Or what? I haven't changed anything since I got the card.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

turn of all the crap you atre running in the background in cluding all the stuff ou dont need in msconfig
    loose all the rubbish in your startup folder
    scandisk and defrag
    after that yer on yer own smile.gif

woops!
    msconfig not on win95 is it...well if you want to bugger up your redistry thats up to you smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Registry editing is fine once you know where to go...
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run (RunOnce, RunOnceEx, RunServices, RunServicesOnce)
    Just delete the values in those keys and your fine. smile.gif

(Just run "regedit.exe")

[This message has been edited by Dead{o}Santa (edited 14-12-1999).]

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Interesting...

Though I can't see how crap running in the background would only affect one of my hard disks.

But hey, it's worth trying.

Ta,
    G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Here Gyck, try disabling the windows swapfile and "end-task" on everything besides explorer and systray...
    If you still get a lot of HDD thrashing, it's probably a hardware problem...

-Free Pr0n Linkz-
    http://www.gibworld.com/grotto

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ohhh youd be surprised.......

• Advertisement
Advertisement