Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8000 seater auditorium

Options
  • 23-10-2005 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

In Saturday's Limerick Leader there was an article in the sports section, I think it was by Aidan Corr but I may be wrong, about the future of Thomond Park. In it he made a passing reference to an 8000 seater auditorium that's in the pipeline for Limerick.... has anyone else heard anything about this, like who's behind it and where it'll be? I think it would be great if it did go ahead, it would hopefully mean Limerick could hold more concerts and other events. 8000 seems very big though - about the size of The Point in Dublin which can hold 8500 maximum, and I'd say that's probably when they don't have the seats down and when alot of the people are standing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

gaf1983 wrote:
    In Saturday's Limerick Leader there was an article in the sports section, I think it was by Aidan Corr but I may be wrong, about the future of Thomond Park. In it he made a passing reference to an 8000 seater auditorium that's in the pipeline for Limerick.... has anyone else heard anything about this, like who's behind it and where it'll be? I think it would be great if it did go ahead, it would hopefully mean Limerick could hold more concerts and other events. 8000 seems very big though - about the size of The Point in Dublin which can hold 8500 maximum, and I'd say that's probably when they don't have the seats down and when alot of the people are standing.

Saw the same story a week or so ago. It mentioned the guy who owns SuperMacs (McDonagh??). It suggested that he was interested in building a big conference facility in the shannonside area to include an 8000 seater arena. Naturally he has denied that he is interested.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

ya i heard the same as Delphi91 too yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭natter

I think he initally wanted to set that up in Athlone but planning permission was turned down so now he's looking for other sites around the midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

He wanted to set it up just on the way into Athlone, before the Kilmartin's N6 Centre. He never actually put in planning permission though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

He said he wants to bring it to Limerick! And the coucil want it here too (go figure!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Athlone was the first choice but it seems to be off the agenda now.
    In a way Limerick makes sense, we have the land by the Docks and infrastructure, we're half way between Cork and Galway, and not too far from Athlone so we could attract crowds from either place. It could be a huge addition to the city, if it happens.

Advertisement