Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Southland Tales (Follow up to Donnie Darko)

Options
  • 22-10-2005 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭

Plot summary : Southland Tales is an ensemble piece set in the futuristic landscape of Los Angeles on July 4, 2008, as it stands on the brink of social, economic and environmental disaster. Boxer Santaros is an action star who's stricken with amnesia. His life intertwines with Krysta Now, an adult film star developing her own reality television project, and David Clark, a Hermosa Beach police officer who holds the key to a vast conspiracy.

Donnie Darko director/writer Richard Kelly follows up his cult hit Donnie Darko with this bizarre and interesting movie coming out in 2006 with an equally bizarre and interesting cast, including :

The Rock
    Sarah Michelle Gellar
    Kevin Smith
    Mandy Moore
    Justin Timberlake
    and Christopher Lambert

Pictures from Southland Tales - http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=21610

Official Site - http://www.southlandtales.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

that cast is absolutely woeful

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Tusky wrote:
    So it will be like Donnie Darko then.........overrated boring drivel.

<edit>look at the website.....pretentious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Tusky wrote:

Since it is a dark comedic parody of pop culture icons and celebrities I think the cast is absolutely perfect. If Kelly wanted RADA people, he would have gotten them, the cast is absurd for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

I'll watch anything with The Rock in it, and i'm a massive fan of Donnie Darko ever since that first screening at the horrorthon in 2002. I haven't seen the director's cut yet.

Most of the cast have shown themselves to be worthy actors when tackling worthwhile material and this film sounds like it's going to be, at the very least, interesting. I haven't seen Domino yet, but the word is that it's pretty ****, so thus far Kelly has one success with Darko and one failure with that.

With all the ****e in the cinemas these days a big release that has a bit of balls and originality is just what the doctor ordered. If it ends up being equally ****e, then **** it at least he tried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

While I have no faith in the cast I do have faith in the director. Hopefully he'll spin some magick with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Lodgepole wrote:
    I'll watch anything with The Rock in it, and i'm a massive fan of Donnie Darko ever since that first screening at the horrorthon in 2002. I haven't seen the director's cut yet.

Most of the cast have shown themselves to be worthy actors when tackling worthwhile material and this film sounds like it's going to be, at the very least, interesting. I haven't seen Domino yet, but the word is that it's pretty ****, so thus far Kelly has one success with Darko and one failure with that.

With all the ****e in the cinemas these days a big release that has a bit of balls and originality is just what the doctor ordered. If it ends up being equally ****e, then **** it at least he tried.

I haven't seen Domino yet either, I've seen mixed reviews, I don't really like the visual style of it from what I've seen. But in fairness to Kelly, he didn't direct Domino, Tony Scott did.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

can't blame domino's direction on the writer in fairness. it is a bit strange feeling throughout - but the script is absolutely ace.

looking forward to southland tales. forgot about it until now - so thanks for the heads up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

can't blame domino's direction on the writer in fairness. it is a bit strange feeling throughout - but the script is absolutely ace.
    I actually really love Tony Scott's visual style, I had heard that the film's script was one of its failing, particularly in the middle. But like I said, I haven't seen it so I can't comment further than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

The style seems somehow inextricably linked to Donnie Darko but I like what he did with the cast.You just wounder why he picked them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Franky Boy wrote:
    The style seems somehow inextricably linked to Donnie Darko but I like what he did with the cast.You just wounder why he picked them.
    because he can, possibly :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Has anyone been to the southland tales website? Was there a few months ago and 1 word: craziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

If you stretch your memory back a good bit you'll see that Christophe Lambert used to be a very good actor. He was great in Subway.

Too bad he's been making sh*te movies for about 15 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭bopper

I haven't got a major problem with any of the cast really, apart from Justin Timberlake who I can't stand. I'm a big Sarah Michelle Gellar fan. She's been fantastic in everything she's ever done, bar the Scooby Doo movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

If you stretch your memory back a good bit you'll see that Christophe Lambert used to be a very good actor.

really?

Advertisement