Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

virus?

Options
  • 22-10-2005 4:47pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok,got broadband there a few days ago and I got it working fine.I was using it last night and it was fine then when I tried to use it this morning there was a problem.First off,internet explorer seems to have broken somehow.When I open it the bar at the top does not go to gmail it keeps putting in the address in the document i uploaded over and over really fast and IE crashes.
    Got opera and that doesn't work either so it is not just a problem with IE.None of my programs can connect to the net and i get network error etc from IRC.I don't understand it,i didn't even turn my laptop off and on again....it just stopped working.I have run 4 anti virus programs(avg,solo anti virus etc) and apparently there are no virus'.It still recognises the LAN connection so I don't know what is up.Restarting didn't change anything,any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

looking at the word document, that looks like new.net spyware have you tried running spybot s&d and ad-aware?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

it might be an idea if you have a virus not to use file types that can become infected themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

MiCr0 wrote:
    it might be an idea if you have a virus not to use file types that can become infected themselves
    Hehe, this was my first thought too! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

its new dot net as Daywalker said. Unfortunately ndotnet as I like to call it, modifies your LSP stack. Its known as a Layered Service Provider. Basically it inserts into the Windows TCP/IP handler. If the software is deleted/removed it has a habit of leaving the information refernecing the software in the LSP chain so when you try to go online your programs go to the LSP stack and try to reference a piece of software that isnt there. Then you start getting the dns error on Internet Explorer and are usually unable to connect to net using ftp and the like.
    Anyway I only wanted to give a simple interpretation. ITs a bit more complicated but sure you dont care you just want it fixed!!! :)

check out
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
    and
    http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/NewDotNet.html

for some help on this issue

HTH

Conor-mr2

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks for the help,Used a few dozen programs to try and get rid of the stuff but I think that it is still poking around.At least I can connect to the net now though !
    Gonna browse those sites a bit mor torouhly now thanks.
    what do you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

What he means there is that certain viruses have the ability to append themselves/infect word docs and it was a suggestion that to reduce risk of infecting other computers that you dont transfer such files to another computer.
    Anyway good to hear ur back on the net at least. You've got functionality anyway and to be honest ndotnet would be more classified as a security risk (Adware,spyware) than a virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Ive had it on my pc also..had to leave it into a pc workshop 95 quid to get it sorted ..but got them to do a few other things as well!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Conor-Mr2 wrote:
    What he means there is that certain viruses have the ability to append themselves/infect word docs and it was a suggestion that to reduce risk of infecting other computers that you dont transfer such files to another computer.
    Ah I didn't transfer it to another computer.Just pasted into an email!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 rw227

daywalker wrote:
    looking at the word document, that looks like new.net spyware have you tried running spybot s&d and ad-aware?

try the trial version of NOD32 .. since v2.5 it's now also detecting spyware, adware, phishing, dialers, etc. in addition to being an excellent antiVirus product ... www.nod32.ie

Thanks a million!

• Advertisement
Advertisement