Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

os 9 or x on imac 400mhz?

Options
  • 22-10-2005 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭

hi all,

i got my first mac about 3 weeks ago, its an imac dv 400 g3 with 384mb ram.

its running osx 10.2.8, im curious, if i were to install os 9 on it would the speed be any better, i only use the comp for the internet and music.

thanks,
    Luke

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Hi ya John, and welcome to Macs! :)

A Mac using OS X will also have Classic on it for older applications that one may use. If you were to delete Panther, you may find that some of your software will then not work using Classic (they would be designed for OS X) so on the surface it may not be a wise move. Certainly, I would stick using OS X in this situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Thraktor

More recent versions of OSX will run more efficiently, even on older machines such as yours, so I'd consider upgrading to Tiger if you've got the money to spare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭babypink

yeah i'd go for tiger if you can....noticeable speed difference over previous versions of osx

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm going to third the upgrade to Tiger, and also suggest more RAM, unless 384MB is the maximum your machine can take.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Tiger on a 400mhz? I'm running 10.2.8 on a 500mhz which seems to be running fine. It's not the Operating system that I'd have a problem with but the software. Fair enough, maybe Tiger could work grand on the machine but would music programs work well on that processor?

OP I only use Reason on my 500mhz 10.2.8 and it does ok, I can use Protools free or Digi performer on OS9 at a nice fast rate - what programs are you using?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

its running osx 10.2.8, im curious, if i were to install os 9 on it would the speed be any better, i only use the comp for the internet and music.

If you can get your hands on 10.3.x or 10.4.x, they may be a fair bit better; early versions of OSX had issues with the G3 (they were overly dependant on the G4's Altivec.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Ocelot

OS X Tiger works fine on my 350Mhz system. It should run fine on your 400Mhz iMac as well.

Advertisement