Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Population in Dublin

Options
  • 22-10-2005 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Hey,

wasn't sure whether it best to put this here or in the Dublin forum.

I'm wondering if anyone would have a rough figure for the number of Chinese living in Dublin at the moment?

I've tried cso.ie naturally but population figures are 2002-based and I'm sure a lot has changed in 3 years!

What have people heard anecdotally even?

I've been told a figure but this seems a little high to me.

Cheers. :)

F

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I though it was 100000 nearly 10% of Dublin. It is high anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

With the 2002 census saying that there were only 5669 of Chinese origin in the whole of Ireland, I'd doubt that there has been that much if an increase in the numbers. Of course the numbers a little larger if you are counting all of the 28000 from anywhere in Asia as being Chinese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

roxy wrote:
    I've tried cso.ie naturally but population figures are 2002-based and I'm sure a lot has changed in 3 years!

Unlikely, most Chinese people over here are students, so the numbers wouldn't fluxuate that much cause as every new bunch come in a number complete their studies and return home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

I thought i seen an article on the rte news awhile back which put the figures at 40,000 living in ireland so going by that i would say 30,000 of them live in dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

robinph wrote:
    With the 2002 census saying that there were only 5669 of Chinese origin in the whole of Ireland, I'd doubt that there has been that much if an increase in the numbers. Of course the numbers a little larger if you are counting all of the 28000 from anywhere in Asia as being Chinese.

Yes, see I looked and saw this figure. But considering the figure I was quoted for Dubiln alone (by someone whose opinion on the matter I don't really trust! ;) ) is about 10 times that figure I didn't quite know what to think!

Anyway, I'll keep trying. Maybe if I go straight to source, a Chinese person might know! Hmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

This forum is for debating not fact finding.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement