Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And what of Dickens!

Options
  • 21-10-2005 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

Recently aquired a very (very very) battered copy of Bleak House by Dickens, it's the only the 2nd Dickens book I've looked at, having done Great Expectations in the "Old LC". Though the language is thick by modern standards, i'm very much enjoying it.

There's plenty of Dickens to be had, and was wondering where I should I next turn my eye?

(Plus I'd be interested in any opinions you have on his works)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I have to say (and this is probably blasphemous on the Lit forum) but I can't stand Dickens. Well that's the opinion side sorted but I'm going to have to let someone else recommend something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

Nicholas Nickleby and The Pickwick Papers are my personal favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I really enjoyed Oliver Twist. I tried Bleak House, and disliked it, and read about half of the Pickwick Papers before getting bored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

I would recommend 'A Tale of Two Cities' - excellent read.

Also, 'A Christmas Carol' which is still far better in print then any of the numerous film adaptations.

I would agree with a previous about Pickwick - I've tried to read it several times and always get bored with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Pitseleh

I can't say I really enjoyed 'A Tale of Two Cities'. Great Expectations is great though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭EvilPixieOne

I've read most of them. My favourite was the Old Curiosity Shop and A Christmas Carol is definatly the easiest reading. Nicholas Nickelby, Hard Times, David Copperfield, Great Expectations are all good but it takes at least 100 pages to get into them, after that they're grand

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

great expectations is one of my fav's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Little Giant

Bleak House- good stuff, I absolutely love! ;)
    definitely go for a tale of two cities as well and if you like that try Hard Times. All of Dickens' are well worth a read though ( in my humble opinion)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 006

Bleak House- good stuff, I absolutely love! ;)
    definitely go for a tale of two cities as well and if you like that try Hard Times. All of Dickens' are well worth a read though ( in my humble opinion)
    I read about a third of Bleak house,found it a bit of an ordeal.First book ive started that ive never finished!,might give it a chance again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

006 wrote:
    I read about a third of Bleak house,found it a bit of an ordeal.First book ive started that ive never finished!,might give it a chance again next year.

it only really begins after 300 pages or so, Dickens doesn't exactly leap to the point... I love all of Dickens cutting asides about poverty, indifference and a self serving justice system so I didn't need a plot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

People who said 'Nicholas Nickleby' was good, I ask how??

Okay, I'm only in JC year but this is my novel and it's not interesting..

We did it last year, so we would have been 13/14 learning Dickens!

Do you appreciate his work more with age?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Plastic Scouser

David Copperfield is one of my favourite books ever! Can't recommend it highly enough!

Advertisement