Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

woodworking

Options
  • 21-10-2005 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

I’m looking to set up my own wood workshop and am just looking for advice from someone who has set up their own. I don’t have much money so am wondering which tools are most essential and which ones I can leave out. Also which tools is it important to spend money on and which ones can I get away with using cheap ones. And where would be the best place to buy tools.

I not looking to do any major complicated work so wont need any major tools just wanna start off learning joints and the likes first. I am buying the Collins woodworking guide which seem the most comprehensive to me or is there any other good books out there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

i found this site which is pretty good for an introduction to woodwork :)http://www.geoffswoodwork.co.uk/menu.htm

someone else may have more technical advice if you wait a few days they may respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I'm replying to this simply because I set up a workshop the wrong way and would advise you to not do the same thing. Buy hand tools and learn to use them properly, power tools will only complicate the learning process, ie.. trying to learn the tool instead of the joint your trying to make.Power tools need regular maintainence and cleaning to keep them working properly. Norm Abram has a team of people off camera doing that for him.Buy the best tools you can afford, cheap tools are cheap for a reason, their made cheaply. I have a shed full of tools that don't work properly because i cant fix them, I bought cheap ya see.I wish ya the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

didn't realise there was a forum for woodcrafts, i will move this thread there

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hi Judesherry,

Welcome, I'm sure you will get plenty of help here. Are you a complete novice , or have you some experience in woodwork,

kadman:)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭judesherry

I have some experience mostly model making in college, using plywood and making veneer lamps. I want to try to make solid wood piece of furniture and eventually look at bending wood. I am a furniture designer with a large manufacturing company so have an understanding of furniture construction but just wanna get my hands dirty. I would ideally be experimenting with loads of different materials but just wanna start off with wood first.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Do you realise the vast difference between panel form construction with man made boards , as opposed to solid timber construction to allow for expansion and contraction of solid timber,

Kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Judessherry,

As a self confessed woodworking nut myself, lol, and with a few years of experience, I can offer you one important piece of advice and you may see this mentioned in good woodwork books. ONLY buy what you need WHEN you need it, say if you are starting a project that requires a particular type of tool, say it involves a lot of joinery and molded edges etc, well a router and a few bits would be helpful for that, so buy yourself a router and only the couple of cutters that would be practable for the job. If you are starting a project that requires ripping and cutting of large sheeting, well then buy yourself a circular saw. Dont just go out and pick up everything at once, I've been woodworking for 5-6 years now and am still buying power tools!

I have a particular interest in woodcarving, and you see those sets with six or several different chisels, they look great and tempting, but in reality you should only buy them seperate and only the ones you need. I bought a set myself and sure enough there are two of it that I dont use.

I presume you have some form of a shed, if so, thats a great start and you will probably realise that light, particularly natural light is vital, so the more of that you can get in the better!

Plan your workshop well, posistion your various benches (and you'll need one of those a GOOD solid bench) at strategic points! It makes life much handier and you can hop from one machine to the next with the great of ease.

Toolracks, put up some sheeting along the wall and hang your tools in a good easy to reach and managable order, I'll tell ye, it really makes a difference and looks pretty cool too when you have everything nicely layed out!

Powertools, as stated, try and buy the best availible, idealy DeWalt are right up there, but also right up there in price too! Aldi have some good powertools, they are German made and come with a guarentee. For the price, and they are usually cheap, they are worth it if only you get a year or two out of them. But for piece of mind and reliabilty buy a good brand!

I wish you all the best of luck, if at all possible have a look into the handcraft, carving and turning, not enough of those about, a dying breed, it gives emmence satisfaction and pride and I wish you all the very best in your venture.

If you have any more question fire away and I'll do my best to help out.

Regards,

CroppyBoy1798.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭judesherry

Im gonna start off with a drill and a jig saw first and than work from there, probably a circular saw than a router than hopefully ending with a fret saw. but that wont be for quite a while. Im also gonna get some hand tools but haven’t fully looked into what i need yet. Im gonna spend about 200 each on the drill and jig saw. I'll have a look at DeWalt stuff now but the only other make I know as being good are Metabo.

I wouldn’t really be into the craving raft side of things, I just dont have the patience.

thanks for the help. I'm clearing out the shed at the moment so hopefully will have it sorted within a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

If I were you I'd hold off on the powertools and get some handtools and learn to use them.
    1x12 inch steel rule in metric and imperial measurements
    1 Square
    1 Mitre gauge
    1 Marking Gauge, (mortise type if you can spring for it.)
    1 set of decent chisels and a mallet
    A tenon saw or Japanese type pull saw.
    A small block plane.
    and a Black and decker workmate.

You could make loads of stuff with that kit. I have a fairly well equipped shop myself but they would be the core tools I use all the time.

As to where to buy tools , well in Dublin, I go to McQuillans in Capel Street and a couple of other tools shops around the area. Lidl and Aldi have some good stuff now and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 cranbrook2

hand tools ? what are they?:D

• Advertisement

cranbrook2 wrote:
    hand tools ? what are they?:D

yeah yeah you Yanks have all the toys :-)

i am north of the yanks.i live in canada.home of the wood beaver.we are fortunate enough to be spoiled by great tools.we have lots of different tools to choose from. we also have a lot of cordless tools now .:)

Yeah I know I was only winding you up;) Have you been to any of the Lee Valley stores? Nice stuff.

i have heard a lot of good things about lee valley but i have never been there yet. i spend most of my money at HOME DEPOT.lots of great tools to choose from. we almost have too many tool companies.i don,t need 3 tablesaws but i have them .nail guns (finishing and framing) ,12'' sliding compound mitresaw,porter cable routers,planers and jointers. it sure makes any job seem easy with the proper tools.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭stormin

judesherry, I am third generation joiner so I have this stuff in my veins. I agree with fingalian, you must be proficient with hand tools. Sometimes you just have to use them no matter how many electric toys you have in the workshop.

Also it is this hand working that leads to a knowledge of wood and exactly what you can achieve with it.

I don't know where you are located but McQuillans in Blanchardstown or Capel Street is an excellent tool supplies shop. I swear by Makita power tools and that's what I have always bought. DeWalt are very good but sometimes I just can't justify the price tag.

Advertisement