Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cdrs

Options
  • 22-11-1999 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

Right just bought myself a cdr, man these things rule. anyways, where's a good place in dublin to buy blank cdrs and how much would i be paying for them ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Hey,
    I think that Peats are fairly alright.

1.50 for a 72 min cd. 100 pound for 100 cdr's.

take ur pick smile.gif

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Fing

Check out http://www.scan.co.uk, you can buy CDR's online for the paltry sum of 65 pence sterling. Smashin'...

Fing

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

is there an 84 minute cdrs as well?

havent got one so i dont know much about the whole cdrw thing.
    i thought cdrw meant you could format a cd and re-record but i believe this only means you can go back and add on to the end of an un-filled cd. is that true?

any chance of them falling into the reasonable price rang (like under a tenner!) at any time soon, they all seem to be about 250 lids...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

With CDR's you can write to em, and leave them unfinished alright and add onto them later. only catch is you have to be using a cdr if you want to read off an unfinished one. To let normal cd rom read em u run a prrogram that formats them in some sort of universal format.

I saw 84 min ones for sale in peats alright.. sorry didn't see the price but it's up on teir website

www.peats.ie
    didn't see what the price of cdrw was but again it should be on the site !

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

ok with CDRW you can write a CD and erease it as many times as you want. As for CDRs you can leave the disk open for furture writes but you do not need to read it from a CDR/RW drive it can be read in any drive that supports multisession CD's (which is most cdroms only realy old ones have problems).

KaYoS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

How much are the 'oul CDRW Drives going for these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I got mine for about 180 with my PC last xmass its a good drive not the fastest but yet have to get a dodgy cd out if it and its supported under linux It a philips.

Kayos

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

CDRW disks are not that great for the price.

Despite what it says you cannot keep writing to the disk, it will eventually fail. Also it only works with the CDRW drive or certain other drives (which Kayos mentions) but I have pretty new machines here, and they don't like CDRW disks.

Cheaper to buy blank CD's. If your using it for backup storage, then a dat drive is better (8 GIG)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think all DVD drives can read CDRW discs.
    I've ordered an Iomega ZipCD (4x write, 4x rewrite, 24x read) drive from Micro Warehouse in the UK. From what I read, it seems to be a pretty good drive, and it comes with plenty of software - Photoshop 5 (SE - ie, cut down version), Adaptec CD mastering software, and a bunch of other crap. It's an IDE drive, and I got it for £99 stg + vat + delivery -> all coming to a total of about IR£150 after currency conversion. The £99 price was a special offer from their website, had I ordered the week before, I would have paid £130 smile.gif The price has gone back to £130 stg now. It comes with 2 CDRs, but, oddly, no rewriteable CDs. I'm currently waiting for it to arrive...

- [IAR]Munch
    - iarclan.cjb.net

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I've got the iomega zip cd drive and I hvae to say that its class. Haven't had any problems with it yet, a real sturdy drive. Must go out and buy some more cdrs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement