Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning C++

Options
  • 21-10-2005 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭

Hello, I have just started a C++ course in TCD its my onely computery module, and I am hoping to learn it well, hopefully to get ahead of the class.

My lecturer is using a mac, I would like to know if it is possible and I am sure it is to legaly download a free programm for making C++ programmes,
    also are there any online tutorials aimed at beginners,
    your help much appreciated in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

MS have a free compiler you can download. Do a search on this forum or check the C++ FAQ (in the stickies).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Sandals wrote:
    Hello, I have just started a C++ course in TCD its my onely computery module, and I am hoping to learn it well, hopefully to get ahead of the class.

My lecturer is using a mac, I would like to know if it is possible and I am sure it is to legaly download a free programm for making C++ programmes,
    also are there any online tutorials aimed at beginners,
    your help much appreciated in advance.
    Dev C++ is a C/C++ compiler and it's free. Just give it an aul google search. Also check out http://www.cprogramming.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

ok thanks a million now i have just made my first program in dev c it is this

// sumsthe numbers from 1 to //
    #include <iostream>
    using namespace std;

int main() {
    int i, n, sum;
    cout << "Enter No"\n";
    cin >> n;
    sum = 0;
    for (i=1;
    i<=n;
    i++n)
    {
    sum = sum + i;
    }
    cout << " The sum of numbers to " << n;
    cout << "is" << sum << " \n;

return 0;

now how do i get into the terminal where i enter: make and filename?
    thansk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

You don't DevC++ handles al that rubbish for you :) The buttons at the top of Dev are for compiling (make etc..) and running your program. Press f9.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

I'm very fond of the CPlusPlus.com tutorials, they're extremely easy to follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I have become a big fan of using Textpad and then adding the compile options to the tools menu. Its very handy as you can develop all sorts of code using the same program.

I surrently have Textpad set up to compile Java, C/C++, ASM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

As you're using a mac, it's likely you're using the GNU toolchain. So may want to look at MinGW or Cygwin for a Windows equivalent.

Advertisement