Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attention All Bass Players

Options
  • 20-10-2005 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi

Can anybody recommend any bands or artists that uses good slap bass in their music?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

Bluesriff wrote:
    Hi

Can anybody recommend any bands or artists that uses good slap bass in their music?

Cheers

Stanley Clarke

Victor Wooten

Les Claypool (Primus)

Stu Hamm

Larry Graham & Graham Central Station

Flea (Red Hot Chilli Peppers)

Norwood Fisher

Charles Mingus

Louis Johnson

Thats just a few. Most of them are solo bassists who started in about the seventies, but they are probably the best bassists in the world(with the exeption of Flea, i just threw him in there cos he plays slap and everyone knows him). There's two guys im leavin out but i can't think of their names so you'll have to do without.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JacoStanley

Check out Marcus Miller and my personal fav Mark King!

Check out Marcus Miller and my personal fav Mark King!

Mark King! Thats his name!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Bluesriff

Thats great guys

Thanks for your help

Talk to you later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

bootsy collins

tim commerford (bombtrack and take the power back)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Pete Doherty

[
    Thats just a few. Most of them are solo bassists who started in about the seventies, but they are probably the best bassists in the world(with the exeption of Flea, i just threw him in there cos he plays slap and everyone knows him). There's two guys im leavin out but i can't think of their names so you'll have to do without.[/quote]

why "with the exceptiion of Flea"? why isnt he on of the best bassists in the world?he`s ALOT more than a slap bass player!and everyone knows him coz he is so famous for his excellent bass playing!! **** the rest of your list!!

**** the rest of my list???!! Without musicians and innovators like Stanley Clarke, Victor Wooten and Larry Graham(who incidentaly actually invented the concept of slap bass guitar), that second rate copycat "bassist" Flea wouldnt even be around! And I don't care if he does more than slap bass, that wasn't the question, this nice person just wished to be informed of bands/artists who play quality slap bass guitar. Also you will notice that I never said the Flea wasn't a good bassist, I said he wasn't one of the best slap bassists in the world, which he is not. The very fact that I included him in my list shows that I acknowledge the fact that he has skills and might appeal to someone looking to listen to a band with slap bass lines. And in future if you have nothing productive to add to a topic I suggest you don't bother reply. This is not a discussion about who is and who isn't a good bass player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 michael_collins

thou shalt not take the name of michael bulzari (flea) in vain. second rate my ?!*&%>". take it back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

thou shalt not take the name of michael bulzari (flea) in vain. second rate my ?!*&%>". take it back!
    1. your a spanner
    2. it's balzary
    3. compared to the other bassists mentioned he is second rate, go listen to vic wooten and tell me flea is in the same league.

I find it odd that you don't even know how to spell the name of someone who you seem to be a big fan of...

He's fine for what he does. I do not disagree with that. But he's a pile of rotting ass compared to the bassists I and other people have mentioned, who, i would bet quite alot on, you have never heard. Come back when you are well informed and have done research and have compared Flea to these other bassists. But if you did, you probably wouldn't come back because you will have realised how incredibly wrong you are. You think Flea is good because he knows a few tricks? And you're saying he's not second rate compared to these men who invented this style of playing, alot of whom he himself has listed as his influences? I didn't include Jaco Pastorius at all, anyone want to give out to me for that?You and "Pete Doherty" obviously have something wrong with you and are one the most close minded people I have ever talked to.

Once again I state that NOWHERE in any of my posts did I say Flea was a bad bass player. I said that he wouldnt be one of the best slap bass players in the world because there are so many better slap bass players than him, so get over it. And try and find something better to do than waste space arguing completely off topic.

(And yes i'm aware of the irony of me telling them not to waste space arguing and infact posting the longest replies, but its just so much fun proving them to be idiots)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JacoStanley

They're all great and exciting to listen to.

i have to say that magnum force and olp are two of the biggest d**k noses i have ever known, and i have only been on this site for an hour or so, say what you will about flea but don't make it personal asswipes, i didn't until now, and that's only because i won't tolerate this crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

If you want to be here in another hour I suggest you cut out the abuse.

sorry doc, are you talkin to me, them or all of the above:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Especially you but anyone else spouting crap at each other. Keep it civil, please. If we all had the same opinions the world would be a very dull place but if you can't make your point without insulting someone then you ought to shush.

well said dude, i'll keep shut, sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 fergferg79

You want slap?? Just watch Seinfeld!!! Za! Za!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Jeepers all those excellent bass players and yet none of yas mention Geddy Lee?..jeeezz lads,,,ask the Doc hes an awsome player including slapp while doing foot keyboards and vocals all at once?!?!..check him out yu rocking kings/queens

Baggio.....

Didn't know Geddy plays slap, he's an excellent rock bassist though. I love 2112!

Attention all planets of the Solar Federation!
    We have assumed control,
    We have assumed control,
    We have assumed control.....

Brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Magnum yeahh nice one heheehehe

Geddy?..yeahhh he's played every style ya can think of, if yu listen carefully - hes been playin funky bass lines for decades now..and slap in there , the lot...veryy clear on their 80's albums where he used a Whal bass veryy distinctive plucking slapping style to suit the times.....and as i said all that while singing and controlling foot pedal synths at the same time ...the man is different class :)

ciao' amigo...Baggio...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭reniwren

"bill dickens" just go to his website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ChuckE

If you wanna see some impressive Slap check out this guy

http://www.pilichowski.pl/

I never even heard of him until I saw him at an ashdown workshop. I was absolutely blown away by him. Very impressive stuff...

And leave Flea alone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 nutgroist

Tina Weymouth, she was a total slapper

especially on Remain In Light

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 nutgroist

oh and check out Jonas Hellborg, swedish jazz bassist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Briony Noh

I have one somewhere from a workshop Mark King did for the BBC about ten/fifteen years ago at around the height of Level 42'S fame and admiration. You interested in hearing it or was yours a strictly intellectual enquiry? (Yes, I've read some of the other responses, don't even go there).

I'd love to hear that Mark King one by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 marximusmaximus

check out 'squeeze me macaroni?@ by mr. bungle if ya wanna hear some mad slap. not sure what the bassists name is, does anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 marximusmaximus

check out 'squeeze me macaroni' by mr. bungle if ya wanna hear some mad slap. not sure what the bassists name is, does anyone?

Advertisement