Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can A 40 year old Break the Four Minute Mile?

Options
  • 20-10-2005 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

May be of interest to some of you. My cousing has been preparing for a year to Run the four minute mile on his 40th Birthday (next Wednesday) and has been drumming up sponsorships for charity in the process.

The guy has NO background in Athletics!

He's doing it at Morton Stadium in Santry next week. Details below:

CAN PATRICK CLARKE BE SUPERMAN?

Eamonn Coghlan is the only man over 40 years old to run a mile in less than 4 minutes. Next Wednesday (26Th Oct) another Irish man will attempt to equal this amazing feat in Morton Stadium, Santry.

This man is not a professional athlete, but an award winning filmmaker. His name is Patrick Clarke and he is attempting this feat on his 40th birthday to raise money for St. Francis Hospice in Raheny.

Can he do it? Bookies Paddy Power say no way and are offering odds of 66/1 that Patrick manages the unthinkable and runs a mile in under 4 minutes.

Paddy Power Bet on Patrick Clarke € Mile:

1/3 Patrick Clarke to beat his personal best time of 5.01

66/1 Patrick Clarke to run a 4-minute mile

What Time Will Patrick Clarke Run?

14/1 4.30 or less

9/1 4.31 € 4.40

6/1 4.41 € 4.50

2/1 4.51 € 5.00

5/2 5.01 € 5.05

4/1 5.06 € 5.10

8/1 5.11 € 5.15

14/1 5.16 € 5.20

16/1 More than 5.20

100/1 Patrick Clarke to star in Forest Gump 2

To place a bit click on the link below,

If you win great! if you lose the proceeds go to St. Francis Hospice.

So it's a no lose situation!

http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=show_type_by_main_market&category=SPECIALS&ev_class_id=91&id=6268

In addition we are offering a €25,000 donation to the Hospice if Patrick is breaks 4-minutes, €5,000 if he breaks 4.30 and €2,500 if he breaks 5.00

For more information please contact:

Paddy Power

(01) 4049620

087 825 0893

ppower@paddypower.com

For more information on Patrick Clarke, log on to www.lifebeginsat.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Sorry, but no way. He'll do well to get a PB.

Paddy Clarke, ha ha ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 groovyspoon

Fair play to him for trying. And I can only commend him for his efforts
    but to be honest, and he even knows this himself... he hasn't got a chance in hell. Even Coughlan couldn't manage it on his first attempt. But anything that gives more publicity to athletics and charity should be given as much support as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

His initial progress was excellent but for the last few months he's only managing to shave seconds off his time. Should be a bit of craic all the same, very slim chance of breaking 4.00 but I'm sure he'll run a personal best.

His whole year has been recorded for a documentary and hopefully will be broadcast in the near future

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

Please post when he finishes the race with his official time....

GOOD LUCK to all involved!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Well ... how did it go ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 nonrunner

heard paddy clarke on the radio this morning. he ran 4:59:19 (i think) less than a second under 5mins.
    he said he knew a couple of months ago he hadn't a hope of beating 4mins, was really just hoping to beat 5mins, which he hadn't done in training.
    said eamonn coughlan was there on the day and was great to get the crowd cheering him on etc. maria mccambridge and few others acted as pacemakers for him.sounds like he raised a few pounds for charity and got some coverage for athletics.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

Yeah pretty much what nonrunner said.

I went out myself - Paddy Power were offering €25000 to beat 4.00, €5000 to beat 4.30 and €2500 to beat 5.00.

His fastest lap was the third at just under 74 seconds and as mentioned he clocked in at 4:59:19

Eamon Coughlan was on hand to start the race and record the official time.

After the race Paddy Power presented Pat with a cheque for €3000 which goes to St Francis hospice.

Keep tabs on www.lifebeginsat.com to find out how the post=production on the documentary is coming along and eventually when and where it will be shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

I met this guy down at the first race of our 2 mile summer series. Very nice guy, fair play to him for seeing it through to the end, even if he didnt break the barrier. He was at the national T&F championship doing some interviews, I wonder if thats for his documentary as well? His website is pretty cool, could be a good aul documentary!

Advertisement