Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limit to number of tenants in rented property

Options
  • 20-10-2005 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

Is there a resource that gives specific legal requirements for renting a property? I have checked threshold, Oasis and one or two of the other resources mentioned in the sticky, but can't seem to find the information I need.

Basically, what I have is a landlord who has a number of 5-bedroom houses and is putting 10 beds into each of them. Is there a legal limit to the number of people that he can put into rented accomadation (I am thinking along the lines of health and safety or possibly fire regulations)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

here is a link to the residential tenancy act 2004 :
    http://oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/acts/2004/a2704.pdf
    I cant find a reference to the MTU anywhere, as a landlord myself though i think double beds in each room is fine as long as there are at lease enough bathroom facilities for the maxium amount of people in the house. and enough common areas for same.
    E.G. My four bed house has three bathrooms and a MTU of 7 people. This was my decision not local authority...
    hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,332 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Your local council will have limits set out in the Development Plan stating how big a particular bedroom (single / double, etc.) should be. Occupancy should be largely consistant with this.

Advertisement