Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing RedHat 6.1 from HD

Options
  • 20-11-1999 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

Hi - I downloaded RedHat 6.1 (~600mb), made the boot floppy as instructed, but...
    - The "graphical" installer just doesn't work. It boots the text installer every time.
    - When the text installer boots, I set up my language and keyboard and the location of the RedHat files... then it says "Welcome to RedHat 6.1" and proceeds to set up a RAM disk... and then it just puts up a blue screen and does sweet **** all.
    Can anyone help? I'm using the PCMCIA.IMG for the boot disk, since that's what the manual says to do for HD installations.

- |IAR|Munch
    - http://iarclan.cjb.net - currently down

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

• Advertisement

smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

• Advertisement

smile.gif

smile.gif

! ! ! R O F L ! ! !
    Poor lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Do you ever actually post anything of any help to anyone ?

As to Stephens question.. What way do you have it setup, like where are the files stored .. what sort of partitioning ?

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭toil

hmmm i would say just use the
    boot.img and boot the disk...
    there is an option in that for installing from the HD.....might as well try it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I used the boot.img ... there doesn't seem to be any HD installation option in that...
    The files are in C:\RedHat\ ...I haven't got as far as partitioning anything yet. The only things I have got to setup are keyboard and language. Anyone have any idea why the new graphical installer, as featured on RedHat's site, refuses to work? Whenever I pick the graphical install option, it just goes to text mode anyway.

- |IAR|Munch
    - http://iarclan.cjb.net currently down

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

um, get someone to burn u the iso and install it from cd wink.gif...

na seriously, I`ll d/l it on saturday and give it a shot, cause x won`t work properly in 6.0 with my v3...

cornel linux is ok, but there isn`t much that comes with it..having to d/l the kernel is a bit lame, include one..

Ro, who might have some anwsers after the weekend..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Be very suprised if anyone can help you over boards, sorry to say. Text install is more tricky, need hands on. I'd suggest buying cd for 2 quid from www.cheapbytes.com, thats how i get mine. You have a nice silver cd, with all you need on hand. And it boots from cd and is really easy. Or failing that, email me, ggfarrel@tcd.ie or ring me on 088-2160870 and if you meet me in dublin (hope you live there wink.gif i'll lend you my rh 6.1 cd if you want.
    Quozl

Well, I got Mandrake 6.1 from the PCAnswers CD - It has Corel WordPerfect 8 for linux on the CD too... installed it successfully (apparently)[It also has an app that will make it run on a FAT32 partition, didn't use it], but when I boot Linux, it gives me error messages (I can't recall whatthey were at the moment) and dumps me at a terminal screen once I enter the root password. Is there a Linux equivalent to MSDOS Scandisk? I think the hard drive I installed it on may be causing the problem - its an old 2GB drive with its fair share of bad sectors.

BTW, I live in Kilkenny, not Dublin :/
    Any ideas why the graphical installer for RH6.1 wouldn't work? My graphics card is a bog standard Cirrus Logic 5446 PCI (2mb).

Thanks for any help...

- [IAR]Munch
    - iarclan.cjb.net

Okay, so I booted Linux, and copied down the error msg:

"Checking root filesystem
    /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: fsck: command not found

*an error occurred during the filesystem check"

- [IAR]Munch
    - iarclan.cjb.net

• Advertisement

That doesn't sound too good sad.gif
    Any chance you could re-install it?

Yeah, I reinstalled it (successfully, apparently). And then I run into another damn problem - when I boot linux, I get to a screen containing a dodgy ascii image of that penguin and some info on my system (eg, P200MMX 64MB RAM, etc, and "localhost.localdomain") - also on this screen is a "localhost login" prompt. No matter what the hell I type here it does nothing. Root password, user password/name, anything... I get no results. Anyone have any ideas on *that* one?

(I don't think Linux likes me much wink.gif)

- [IAR]Munch
    - iarclan.cjb.net

Okay, I just visited the PCAnswers website - Apparently the Mandrake 6.1 cd got mangled during the duplication process, and it is *impossible* to login. They're planning to release some kind of fix during the week.

Woo. So that wasn't *my* problem then smile.gif

- [IAR]Munch
    - iarclan.cjb.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

ive used a few distributions, have to say i like SuSE or Slackware linux the best, because they seem more secure/logical in their configuration

im using FreeBSD right now, and it was a pain to install and get ppp for modem working, but once the system is up and running its fairly close to linux, supposed to be more secure though.. linux fdisk is still the best, and lilo has to be the best and most configurable bootloader ive used so far.
    freebsd bootloader is extremely basic, and its fdisk doesnt let you do as much as linux fdisk, even though freebsd has a better filesystem in my opinion

[This message has been edited by Koopa (edited 03-12-1999).]

Advertisement