Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passwords over a network

Options
  • 19-10-2005 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Hi! Im living in college apartments in carlow, bb connections in each bedroom, basically anyone can access anyones pc, is their anyway i can put a password on my pc over the network so ppl cant access my pc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

yea, you can also restrict what they access

its all to do with what you have shared out.
    You can also set up profiles on ur PC for each of them and give them differant access if you like.

In folder options you can change ur sharing rules from simple to ... "none-simple" :rolleyes: anyways. make sure you know what you are doing before you start messing with them cause if you mess up (as an extreem) you can lock urself out of folders or even drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

ah ya i know how to do that alright, there some people when i try an access their computers, ive asked of course*coughs* theres a prompt that comes up asking for a password

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

tom_ass19 wrote:
    ah ya i know how to do that alright, there some people when i try an access their computers, ive asked of course*coughs* theres a prompt that comes up asking for a password
    I dont get it, if you know how to do all that then you should be able to do just that. get it to prompt for a password.
    The reason it askes you for a password is because the permissions have been restricted and you have to specify who you are so the OS will know what to grant you access to and what to restrict.

sorry, didnt read your reply properly, im a small bit drunk, was out for a few drinks a while ago. thanks for the help.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Todays word is.... FireWall .

• Advertisement

haha very funny.......messin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Todays word is.... FireWall .

Zonealarm or Sygate are good firewalls

or as a poor substitute in your network settings disable “file and print shareing for Microsoft …..” Leave the client one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

You can set a password on the BIOS so people can't even boot your PC with a floppy or cd.

Go into 'setup' when you boot and fish around for the setting, usually there's an admin and a user password you can set.

And usually there's a jumper on the motherboard to reset the bios password in case it's forgotten.

That any use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Beating useres that phiscally touch your pc works well two.:D

Personally i think locking your room dor would do wonderes for phisical security
    and you cant jumper the lock :D

Seriously how far do you want to take the security?

Again a firewall and basic av and spyware stuff is all you need.

Advertisement